• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommendation for a 13ft Barbel rod for floodwater

Richard Burton

Hi gents, any recommendations for the above, was going to look for Korum 13ft Barbel rod, but thought id ask before looking or buying,

I have a pair of Harrison 13ft Ballista in 3lb, they are over 12 years old and I have had many a Barbel rod to compare etc. They are my go to rod for any river with water on or somewhere I need a long chuck etc. I have had well over 100 double figure barbel on them, they will do any job that my lighter rods cannot do. It's a shame you live in the Midlands as your prob too far to travel etc for comparison. I bought what I thought was going to retire my Ballista"s last year, free spirit hi s 13ft 2.75lb, however even though they look the nuts, I moved them on, as they aren't anywhere near as good as the Ballista"s. There aren't many 13s to look at to compare as most manufacturers dont do 13s, shame really as 13s really suit my fishing.

I’ve got a pair of the newer 13ft 2.5lb Korum Rods and think they are great. I was searching for the older 13ft wychwood rods for a long time and got sick of not finding any, so took a chance on these and am glad I did.

Don’t be put off by the price, as they are a good but of kit. First session with them was tidal Trent during the largest flood of the season so far, a good test for them. Leads upto 10oz were needed and I was able to cast them not just lob them.

I landed barbel to 11lb and my mate had barbel to over 13lb and a surprise 21lb sturgeon on his. No hooks pulls etc... due to a softish tip for the T/C. The rod balanced well with a 6000oc and would take a larger reel with ease.

A good tool to have in the bag for the money, buy with confidence.

Century armalite mk1 13ft anything from 2.25lb tc upwards. They're not easy to find but still the best progressive action blank I have used and very forgiving for the kind of lunges that barbel make. You can sometimes find them advertised on facebook, schpock or Ebay and shouldn't cost too much as most people after the newer versions. George

Cheers lads, as said its only for big floods occasional use.
I popped into my local angling direct on Saturday for some bait for the flooded Severn on Sunday, and low and behold they had a Korum one in at £43, and with discount got it for £38, tried it on Sunday and as you say its a beast but does what it says on the tin when it came to home made feeders the size of coke cans and big leads.

Back