• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommendation for 10ft pike rod

Richard.... I suppose under the special circumstances we're living under delays are to be expected. Still frustrating though!!. My blank was a 1.25 Avon/quiver for Chub.
Yeah according to both Dave and mark they are the types of blanks with the longest lead times. Oh well that’s the thing about lovely one off custom builds they can take time to come but well worth it in the end.

Yeah according to both Dave and mark they are the types of blanks with the longest lead times. Oh well that’s the thing about lovely one off custom builds they can take time to come but well worth it in the end.
Oh really.... I didnt realise that mate. I wonder why that is? Probably because the more popular blanks especially from the Carp lads take priority? Oh well, I'll soon be getting it. Can't wait👍👍

Oh really.... I didnt realise that mate. I wonder why that is? Probably because the more popular blanks especially from the Carp lads take priority? Oh well, I'll soon be getting it. Can't wait👍👍
Yep that’s exactly it. I’d hazard a guess he sells probably 50x 3lb torrix blanks for every 1x 1.25 Avon.
he’s probably got the popular carp blanks stocked where as the little 1 off specials made to order as and when.

I think the delay in blanks is that the builder has to order so many at a time ..a mate just had a chimera 3 built ( I know I know I tried to talk him into a free spirit).... the builder had to order 6 blanks at a time from Harrison

P2’s are 11ft rods, fairly light action for a pike rod but with plenty in reserve. Dave does 10ft boat rods that might suit (P3/P4).

someone else has mentioned wychwood rods. I’ve a pair of 10ft 3lb wychwood extricator rods which are more than upto the job, well built double leg guides throughout, not overly expensive.

P2’s are 11ft rods, fairly light action for a pike rod but with plenty in reserve. Dave does 10ft boat rods that might suit (P3/P4).

someone else has mentioned wychwood rods. I’ve a pair of 10ft 3lb wychwood extricator rods which are more than upto the job, well built double leg guides throughout, not overly expensive.
Lumby markets the P3's as boat pike rods. They're great rods and have always used them for that application. I've had two since 97...still going strong. They're 3.5 lb TC so would seem to be too heavy for small drains and rivers. That's not the case and have used them for that in the distant past when required due to unusual circumstances.

Spoke to Steve at harrisons a couple of times this year and Mike and they both said they are completely flat out Steve was telling me some shops that normally order one or two sets a year are ordering 3 or 4 sets a month and the bigger shops are worse he said he's never been so busy we were discussing the fact of everyone being furloughed loads of time to go fishing self employed getting big grants people reducing overheads no childcare costs to travel to work costs ect having a bit more surplus cash thus the tackle shops being devoid of tackle for several months plus actually getting the raw materials with all the restrictions has effectEd everything

I have a drennan esox 10ft I use for canals, can’t fault it! But I don’t spend much on gear so can’t compare to expensive stuff

I've heard the Tackle box's Darent Valley 10ft 3.5tc are decent pike rods and only £55 each

As an all-round pike rod I don’t think there is anything better out there than the P1, it will do everything apart from cast large deads long distances.

I like the P2’s for roaming around with smaller baits, and because the waters I fish don’t hold very big pike, (I’m fishing for doubles and possibly scraper 20’s) the P2’s are great fun. I tend to use the P1’s mainly for drifter fishing.

Both superb rods, and you wouldn’t be disappointed with either, but the P1 is the best all rounder.

Back