• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recomend me

Luke Ayling

Evening gents,could anyboby recomend me a small fixed spool reel,would prefer shimano,and would like it to be in the 1000 sort of size,I've just got a 7ft drennan spinning rod and Want a nice small reel to balance it out..do you guys prefer front or rear drag for spinning...
Many thanks..
Luke

Last edited:
Yup, I have a rear-drag 2500 Seido, whilst a pal who still stoops to light-spinning for Welsh sea-trout has a front-drag 1000. Good reels.

Not to sure really David,do like the look of the reel crooky mentioned.but tell me more..you can't put a price on a good rod of reel.you get what you pay for after all I suppose...

Hard to get in the UK but i've got a pfluger supreme and it's a great little reel. Made from magnesium so super light and a great clutch also being american it's desiged as a proper spinning reel i love mine.

See if you can find an old Japanese made Stradic GTM (there might have been one on ebay recently, nothing to do with me though). I know they did these in 1000 sizes. I have the 3000 and 4000 and they knock spots off any of the modern Shimanos I've laid my hands on.

David.Pm me with some details, price etc please mate..does anybody know about the exage range...

Last edited:
Have a look at a Browning Black Magic 830FD. I bought one for light spinning and it's a very well made reel. Weight ~300g and holds 200yds 8lb line.

I used to favour rear drags but am now of the opinion that front is smoother and more reliable, and as such i now use all front drags, 3500b for barbel and lc's for carp and cats, even use my spod and marker reels for pike (again front drag)..... also watching this thread with interest as i too want a small reel for spinning, quite like the redarc, also looked at one of the new small mitchels, cant remember the number but it comes in gold and also in silver, the gold one felt really good in the hand and is tiny :).... anyone else tried one of these?

Kev, i know that my pfluger supreme is being marketed over here this year as a mitchell. If the new mitchells you are on about are that reel it is a cracking little reel.

It really is a cracking little reel, i got the 4000 size for using on the Teme but it is so light being Magnesium that you can stick it on a spinning rod and use it all day without even noticing it.

Back