• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Re-ringing a Korum Neoteric

Hello All,

I got a original Korum Neoteric rod that I would like to re-ring. I'm a complete rod building novice but are going to attempt this myself.

The current (and original) ringing pattern has 9 Seymo guides starting with a 25mm double leg butt and the rest are all single leg guides. I want to keep it as close to the original as possible but my problem is I cant find this Seymo guide set anywhere.

Could anyone recommend a set of reasonably priced alternatives? At the moment I'm looking at the Pacbay Mimina 4's single legs???

Thanks

Have you considered double legs? All my barbel rods are customs now and been built with doubles throughout, but with all knocks and bangs they take I'd not want singles again, had to "re work" my eyes a few times on old rods I used

Firstly are you sure the rings are Seymo? Unless it has already been re ringed then I doubt it although I could be wrong. More likely they are a generic eastern guide.
Minima 4 - the single legs are a bit spindly and like MOST single legged guides will be prone to bending and after this has happened a number of times the foot is very likely to fracture due to metal fatigue.
The only single legged guide that appears to be quite robust are the relatively new Fuji KLAG and KTAG series.
Picture of BKLAG and BKTAG on rod, the B prefix just means black frames.

KTAG600.jpg

For information on a lot of ring/guide types go here:

Rod Guides

To identify the existing rings then a picture would be helpful.
Best of luck,
Cheers
Bob

Done a fair bit of refurbishment myself over the years and would echo the other comments re single legs, DON'T use them! Doubles are much more robust and, in my opinion, also easier to get good alignment when fitting them.

Thanks for the replys fella's.

I've just double checked and you are right they are not Seymo guides. The butt guide is stamped with a tiny logo that at first glance looks similar to that of Seymo.

I don't know why but I've always been under the impression that going from single to double leg guides can change the action of a rod. Is this not the case or is the difference insignificant?

All I'm after really is a set of reasonable priced guides so I can salvage a cheap-ish rod. Probably doubles are the way to go then so If one of you could recommend a set that fit the bill that would be great.

Thanks Guys

Ryan,
One of the most reliable (albeit a bit chunky) are the Fuji BSVOG guides. Reasonably priced and robust. You can get trouble with some of the generic types with centres dropping out - not good!
Doubles and rod action - some double frames flex more than others and feet spacing will vary. Due to this they might stiffen the action. There is also a difference in weight depending on the liners and frame material.This is a barbel rod (not float, fly , drop shot etc) so suggest that effect will be less critical.
Hope this helps,
Cheers
Bob

Back