• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

re proofing

David Oates

need to re-proof my fox compact evo, its nylon so is fabsil still any good or is there something better.
thanks, dave

Fabsil is great stuff, i've been using it for years on umbrellas & bivvies. I normally buy it in the 2.5l tins & use a brush to put it on with

Hi David,

Fabsil was designed for reproofing Nylon and other synthetics, so it is spot on for what you want it for. Fabsil Gold is a newer, upgraded version, though how much better it is, I don't know.

Visit any store that stocks Grangers products (Fabsil etc.) and read the instructions on the can if you are not certain.

Cheers, Dave.

I use Thompsons waterseal for all my stuff, I got a 25 ltr drum of the stuff for next to nothing a few years ago, it does smell a bit until all the solvent evaporates but it does a good job. My 10 year old brotel and my Aldi brolley are both totally waterproof.

I use Thompsons waterseal for all my stuff, I got a 25 ltr drum of the stuff for next to nothing a few years ago, it does smell a bit until all the solvent evaporates but it does a good job. My 10 year old brotel and my Aldi brolley are both totally waterproof.

Hi Adrian,

I have used Thomsons in the past myself, and yes you are right, it does do a fine job of proofing fabrics. If you wish to re-proof the type of items you used it for, then it will do the job.

However, it should be mentioned that it seals the fabric completely, and thereby also renders it completely non breathable. For brollies, brotels and the like, this doesn't really matter too much, but it is best not to use Thomsons on more enclosed type bivvies, especially not if they are likely to be used in colder weather. You will end up with a nightmare condensation problem, getting soked by a constant rain of drips...been there, done that :D:D Also....whatever you do, do NOT use it on clothing...you will end up getting soaked again, despite not a drop of rain getting through...you will be stewed in your own sweat :D, because as before, the fabric can no longer breathe.

It should also be noted that it does add quite significantly to the weight of bivvies with large spreads of material to cover.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Back