• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ray Walton Rolling Pin

John Hasler

Anyone know if there's a upgrade or modification to the Ray Walton Centrepin that reduces the wobble on the spool turn mechanism when playing a fish?

John - I had mine corrected by a certain Garry Mills of Milltackle, around a year ago. It's not a pleasant experience when the spool 'wobbles' during a tussle with a decent barbel. I had a go at repairing - though, essentially, it was a case of removing and re-assembling the mechanism. Must be a design fault.

Having checked the classifieds (as advised by Paul) I see Darren's had similar work carried out.

John - I had mine corrected by a certain Garry Mills of Milltackle, around a year ago. It's not a pleasant experience when the spool 'wobbles' during a tussle with a decent barbel. I had a go at repairing - though, essentially, it was a case of removing and re-assembling the mechanism. Must be a design fault.

Having checked the classifieds (as advised by Paul) I see Darren's had similar work carried out.
Richard can you please tell me how much it was to sort

As far as I'm aware, John, the pin within the turning mechanism is replaced. I bought the reel secondhand and, initially, there was no play. Then after a couple of seasons it seemed to loosen.

Hi , I had that with my mkll aswell, I phoned them and they said send the reel to them and they would fix it for free.

The JW Young factory in Tewkesbury has closed down recently which I found out because I live nearby and I visited it to pick up a new Ray Walton Pin. However a really helpful Guy named Chris told me he was re-locating to premises nearby and would be continuing to provide services. Contact details :
Service/Repairs:
chris@jwyoungandsons.com

TEL:
07983 794445
J.W. Young and Sons Ltd is registered in England and Wales. No 04205838
Registered Office: 20 Davey Walk, Northway Lane, Tewkesbury, GL20 8UP
VAT Registration Number 370 9408 86

The JW Young factory in Tewkesbury has closed down recently which I found out because I live nearby and I visited it to pick up a new Ray Walton Pin. However a really helpful Guy named Chris told me he was re-locating to premises nearby and would be continuing to provide services. Contact details :
Service/Repairs:
chris@jwyoungandsons.com

TEL:
07983 794445
J.W. Young and Sons Ltd is registered in England and Wales. No 04205838
Registered Office: 20 Davey Walk, Northway Lane, Tewkesbury, GL20 8UP
VAT Registration Number 370 9408 86
Yes, Chris was the person who sorted my Walton, but he is not doing it for free like it would have been done when JW Young were involved.

This is not to say that I was unhappy about paying as I expected to when I first contacted JW Young, I spoke to Chris and he advised that he could repair my reel but could not do as JW Young would have done it 'for free', it turned out to cost £43.41 with shipping. The reel is much better now though.

Back