• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ray Walton Rolling Pin Mk2

Eddie Bray

Senior Member & Supporter
I got my Ray Walton Rolling Pin today, and have a question.

When you turn the spool into its fixed spool type position for casting, should I put the ratchet on or leave it in free-spool?

TIA

Hi Eddie
keep the ratchet on to avoid any over run, once the bait is in the water then its up to you whether you leave it on or not.
Brian.

Braid only too Eddie otherwise you can get terrible line twist,unless you use it as a normal pin and do not rotate.

So many end up on the second hand market when people buy them and put mono on the reel. Then half way through their first day end up spinning meat downstream instead of rolling it. Or buy them then find out they are a reel designed for braid and their club has a ban on braid as a mainline. Excellent reel if used as it was designed to be. The older Adcock stantons and Trentman pins end up on the second hand market because the reel seats are often very wide and do not fit modern rod fittings. Often things learnt the hard way after you buy them for a first time.

Last edited:
I use Daiwa J-Braid x8 and Daiwa J-Braid Grand x8.

I use 9lb 0.06mm on Centrepins and 13lb 0.10mm, 18lb 0.13mm and 28lb 0.18mm (grand).

Back