• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rat deterrents

Stuart Brookes

I was out fishing last week and as the nights are rapidly drawing in was sat in darkness by 9pm. A usual the rats get a whiff of bait and are attracted to it ending up with me spending more time looking out for them than watching my rod, not really a problem as I couldn't buy a bite.
My question is has anyone tried the ultrasonic rat deterrents you see in the likes of B&Q and if so would you say they were successful. Obviously the ultimate deterrent would be a terrier but most clubs do not allow dogs on the bank.

Cheers,

Stu

hard boilie and a black widow catapult ...lol, great fun if things get dull.

Had one jump on my leg last week whilst fishing the Colne. It was chasing another one across where I was fishing...

Not the most pleasant experience ever! However, nothing compares to the number of rats at Redmire pool last year when I fished for the weekend. They were everywhere in very large numbers!

Had one jump on my leg last week whilst fishing the Colne. It was chasing another one across where I was fishing...

Not the most pleasant experience ever! However, nothing compares to the number of rats at Redmire pool last year when I fished for the weekend. They were everywhere in very large numbers!

Colne. Ealing?
Long way from home Chris, but hope you are enjoying the new scenery and especially the new Rivers.

The plug in ultrasonic deterrents have certainly worked in my garage where I once had a problem with rodents. I assume you can get battery operated ones, all mine are plug in 240v.

Air rifle, night scopes and 5 tins of ammo? IEDs all around your swim.... do otters eat rats?

A small terrier staked at my feet does the job for me, only trouble is, he likes spam too....

Rats

Once hooked one as a kid night fishing on Clifton Marina.Was fishing the tip with meat on a size 14 hook ,decides to try the float and dumps tip rod up the bank.Twenty minuets later almighty squealing and the reel turning picked up the rod and swinging on the other end ,and not pleased at all was one rat hooked fairly in the top lip,couldnt shake it of but did manage to knock it of with a bankstick:rolleyes:

One thing not to do is what I attempted a few years ago on an evening trip to the river Nidd . I was fishing in fairly dense cover and was surrounded by a number of rats running around , trying to nick my bait etc . Although I had no fear that they would bite me they were very bold so I attempted to dissuade them by giving one a wallop with a bankstick . Stick wielded , bloody nose given , the wounded creature squeeled to high heaven and immediately 5 or 6 other rats appeared and promptly attacked their injured brethren , eventually killing it . Gulp !So much for that approach as a deterrent , it was fairly disturbing to witness really :eek:

Air rifle, night scopes and 5 tins of ammo? IEDs all around your swim.... do otters eat rats?

Dunno but otters definitely wake you up when nodding off! Splooosh! One came through my swim on the Gt Ouse on Saturday and I swear it was making as much noise as it could. In fact the wildlife down on that stretch has it in for me I'm sure.

The rat problem at my local river is so bad that it's keeping me away, they have balls of steel down there. If the ultrasonic deterrents work then I'm prepared to try them.

For those of us without a terrier, would a generous splashing of dog urine around ones peg not keep the little pests at bay..? My neighbour has a Greyhound..

For those of us without a terrier, would a generous splashing of dog urine around ones peg not keep the little pests at bay..? My neighbour has a Greyhound..

Are you seriously considering collecting and carrying a bottle of K9P with you?:eek::confused::D

One shot from my Webley Typhoon .22 air pistol does the trick for me, But make sure you ask the Land owner and also the Bailiff before you start shooting them,

Back