• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

RACG

Thanks Derek but that is the point. You are using an Apple product with IOS 10 installed but my iPad only has IOS 9.3.5 and it is not practical to install later versions of the operating system because they are designed for later models with more/better/different functionality. I could of course just buy a new iPad but am perfectly happy with the one I have which works perfectly for everything other than the RACG website, it appears.....

Dave

David
it shouldnt matter what system your using as its only a webpage, ill get paul to look into it and get back to you

I appreciate that it should not make any difference, but I can assure you that it does. I tried on my daughter's new iPad this morning and reached the home page with no problems. Then tried to do the same thing on my (older) iPad and all I get is a blank screen after the page has completed loading.

Given the issues that Lloyds Banking Group experienced when they rolled out their new online banking app (it would only work on Apple products using IOS10 or higher, forcing them to revert to the previous version after a mass of complaints from disgruntled iPad users), I am forced to conclude that this is a similar issue. Perhaps your tech experts can shed some light on this?

Dave

Thankfully I only have a cheap Amazon Kindle and it opened up without bother. I am not savvy when it comes to operating systems or installing new functions, so I will stick to a simple device.

Can anyone throw any light on what’s going on with The RACG please. There is no activity on the official forum, no news, no events no nothing !!! It clearly states that the forum is the place to communicate but my request for a committee comment on the forum has fallen on deaf ears!!!

Thanks Jason. That disappoints me as I don’t do FB. Thanks for confirming my suspicions and confirms what I’ve been told by one of the three members using the official forum. I’m told that a magazine is due out soon, perhaps i’ll Get updated on activities in that...

Last edited:
I've finally had to succumb to facebook Bill, it was a case of needs must for my match fishing. That's how I came across the RACG group on there but even on there's not a lot being said, pretty much the same question you asked with the answer being things are in the pipeline

Many thanks for the FB insight Jason

Many thanks for the FB insight Jason
Hi Bill
You don't have to involve yourself in all of the crap on FB but by being a member you have access to all the information you want and provided you only look at the stuff that's relevant to you FB is a great tool, you are missing out on lot's.

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your encouraging words but what worries me is i’ve seen what my mate seems to be able to access simply because he’s a “friend of a friend” he seems to be able access things that i’m sure some of the posters are unaware of. I don’t think he’s particularly clever but does seem to be able navigate round the site. I would prefer to stay private so best way for me is not to be a member. I agree I’m missing a lot, a once active vibrant club forum has died on its arse because of FB and there’s another I belong to is going the same way. It works two ways though Keith, I used to once put river conditions, water temperatures and catch information on one club forum, they are now missing out on that.
Regards
Bill

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your encouraging words but what worries me is i’ve seen what my mate seems to be able to access simply because he’s a “friend of a friend” he seems to be able access things that i’m sure some of the posters are unaware of. I don’t think he’s particularly clever but does seem to be able navigate round the site. I would prefer to stay private so best way for me is not to be a member. I agree I’m missing a lot, a once active vibrant club forum has died on its arse because of FB and there’s another I belong to is going the same way. It works two ways though Keith, I used to once put river conditions, water temperatures and catch information on one club forum, they are now missing out on that.
Regards
Bill
Bill
Maybe sign up to facebook using false name, date of birth etc

i forgot you will have to set up a new email account especially for that otherwise your inbox will get clogged

Hi Keith,
Regards
Bill

Bill - the security access of FB is fairly easy to set up and you can control who sees what. On the other hand, it opens up a whole new (and sometimes unwelcome) world together with a new digital footprint. If I knew what I now know I would have kept away from Google and Facebook altogether. Not very encouraging words, admittedly, but just something to be aware of from an Orwellain perspective. One of these days I'll clean up my own digital footprint.

Bill - the security access of FB is fairly easy to set up and you can control who sees what. On the other hand, it opens up a whole new (and sometimes unwelcome) world together with a new digital footprint. If I knew what I now know I would have kept away from Google and Facebook altogether. Not very encouraging words, admittedly, but just something to be aware of from an Orwellain perspective. One of these days I'll clean up my own digital footprint.

Many thanks Richard, you make me feel better for not being amongst the number :)

Back