• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Quick Overnighter......

Andy Cooper

HI guys any one up for a quick overnighter one The Middle Severn Thursday night?
Steve?

Deano?

Mart?

Bruce?

:):):):):)

Just had a look at metcheck and its predicting a tempreture of between -14c and -17c Thursday, now i am 41 and i cannot ever remember it being this cold;);););)

Has it been colder than this?

Andy I'd join you on the hallowed banks of the Severn but I can't seem to be able too unbolt the log burner in my living room.

That and in the off chance of bagging a barbel, I'd dread to see Rich Frampton's reaction to: Water temp 1.5`c, colour negligible and Dumb (me) managed to sneak a barbel.;)
Accused of story telling after catching on Monday with the water at 7`c and rising.....:eek::(:rolleyes:

As for overnighters those days are past me after doing 100s after carp while winter fishing and thinking i must be mad.

7c and rising where was that as it's been dropping all week:)

Admittedly these temps weren't all recorded on the same thermometer or at the same location but do serve to show a trend of rising water temps on the Middle Severn, prior to me fishing the Severn on Monday just gone (22/11):

17/11 - 5.5`c
19/11 - 6.7`c
20/11 - just under 7`c
22/11 - 7.3`c

Caught it just right then but dont think we will see a rise for a week or two now. I should of got out instead of earning brownie points at home lol.

My idea of brownie point scoring was not to fish the Teme late afternoon onwards...:D

I think with the temps predicted out your way, even the chub might start switching off.:eek:

Chub do nothing for me what so ever, i've had 7s (stillwater fish) in the past and chucked em back without a pic lol.

Chub do nothing for me what so ever, i've had 7s (stillwater fish) in the past and chucked em back without a pic lol.

Jez, i once had a 5 1/2 pounder ( chub ) sitting in the snow in December on the " Avenue " stretch. To me, it was a fish of a life time, and still, probably, my best ever catch. I wouldn,t swap it for a 10 from a stillwater. There,s just NO comparison between the two. To say they do nothing for you, you must be spoilt my friend.

It's a funny thing about Chub. If I'm fishing for barbel, I'm usually disappointed when it's "only a chub", but, I love catching them them when I'm fishing for them.

Just had a look at metcheck and its predicting a tempreture of between -14c and -17c Thursday, now i am 41 and i cannot ever remember it being this cold;);););)

Has it been colder than this?

Christmas night in 1996 (I think) they recorded -17 at Shawbury near Shrewsbury. I was only down the road from there spending Xmas with my family in Cressage, but because of the lack of beds that night, I volunteered to sleep in the caravan in the garden that night. Big mistake :(:(. By god it was cold! My glass of water froze solid in no time. I was layered up to my eyeballs in a thermal sleeping bag and a duvet on top, but I could feel the cold seeping in.

The BFW Fish-In in March this year was lightweight at only -7, but enough to ice up the inside of my bivvy. :D

Jez, i once had a 5 1/2 pounder ( chub ) sitting in the snow in December on the " Avenue " stretch. To me, it was a fish of a life time, and still, probably, my best ever catch. I wouldn,t swap it for a 10 from a stillwater. There,s just NO comparison between the two. To say they do nothing for you, you must be spoilt my friend.
Had a five from the bottom end of the Avenue earlier this year, now there are some right monsters on the upper river but they just dont interest me at all. Funny really as i have fished for most species over the years but never much for chub. Did have a bash for some wee beasties many years ago on the Kennet but thats about it. The 7s i had from a Telford still water on small 1" pieces of lamprey and a bag of trouties while trying for the carp in there, now these's a hint on a different carp bait:D

Back