• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Question. Line rating Daiwa connoisseur z match mk2

Danny Moss

Hi
I have a connoisseur z match mk2 power special
Could anybody tell me the line rating as can’t find any details on the net for the rod,
I know some on here really know there stuff when it comes to float rods.
Thanks for any help
Much appreciated 🎣

I’m 95% sure the conny z m2 range were built on the same blanks as the spectron m2 range and a lot of the models were the same. Side by side, baring the graphics they were identical in the way the carbon looked and unless someone tells me otherwise I’m going to say they were the same blanks. I think the early tournaments used the same blanks aswell

Going by this logic daiwa rated the spectron m2 power floats 3-10lb and there for I’d say the conny z power would be rated the same by Daiwa

Having owned quite afew speccys and being a bit of a fan boy I can comfortably say 10lb seems a bit high to me. Don’t get me wrong they’ll land any barbel that swims and with the softness of the tip they’ll be fine for smaller stuff too but as a user that has had plenty of barbel on this blank I’d say a nice rating for it and more realistic would be 5-8lb
Hook lengths down to 4lb.

That would be the comfortable range for that blank imo.

Hi Richard
I can find the power rod but not the power special,
Did think around the 8lb mark though
You certainly know your stuff.
Thanks very much🎣

Be wary, I'm not convinced that there's any connection between the Connoisseur Z (Mk2 or not) and a Spectron M2. Now if someone said to me that the Connoisseur G blanks were the same as those of the Spectron M2, I'd not even raise an eyebrow. They were consecutive ranges after all. The Conny Z and Spectron M2 are separated by a couple of range generations and about a decade.

As far as I'm aware, there's barely any difference between the Conny Z and the Conny Z Mk2. I've seen rods with the Mk2 graphic, but never seen them in a catalogue. I suspect that they may have been from somewhere around 2000. The line rating for the 13' Power CNZM130P was 1lb-5lb. The 14' Long Distance CNZM140LD was 1lb-6lb

The Conny Z was in the 1998 catalogue but was replaced by the original Spectron by 2005. I understand that the Spectron M2 was available around 2010ish and it was replaced by the Conny G by 2013. As far as I'm aware, the first generation of Daiwa Match rods with line ratings as high as 8lb (for the Extra Power (XP) versions) included the first Spectron Match range. The XP models and 17-20' River Control were rated 1lb-8lb. The 13' Power was 1lb-6lb.

By the time we got to the Conny G (and I suspect that the Spectron M2 may have been similarly rated), the power versions were 2-8lb and the XP versions were 3-10lb.

Daiwa 1998.jpg

Daiwa 2005 catalogue Spectron.jpg

hi Chris
Another one who knows his stuff.
Have you ever heard of the power special?
Seems to be not a lot written about it.
Thanks for your help🎣

Have you ever heard of the power special?

It's not especially unusual for Daiwa to throw "Special" into rod graphics where no mention is made of it in catalogues or product codes. I have a couple of Daiwa Waggler rods that have "Waggler Special" as part of the rod graphics. Similarly, I have a stick float rods with "Stick Float Special" in the graphics.

The best bet to avoid too much confusion with Daiwa rods is to use the product codes. For a Conny Z 13' Power, it should be CNZM130P. If I remember it correctly, the MK2 version of the Conny Z float rods differed by having an "A" in the product code. Mk2 Conny Z 13' Power should = CNZM130AP.

Be wary, I'm not convinced that there's any connection between the Connoisseur Z (Mk2 or not) and a Spectron M2. Now if someone said to me that the Connoisseur G blanks were the same as those of the Spectron M2, I'd not even raise an eyebrow. They were consecutive ranges after all. The Conny Z and Spectron M2 are separated by a couple of range generations and about a decade.

As far as I'm aware, there's barely any difference between the Conny Z and the Conny Z Mk2. I've seen rods with the Mk2 graphic, but never seen them in a catalogue. I suspect that they may have been from somewhere around 2000. The line rating for the 13' Power CNZM130P was 1lb-5lb. The 14' Long Distance CNZM140LD was 1lb-6lb

The Conny Z was in the 1998 catalogue but was replaced by the original Spectron by 2005. I understand that the Spectron M2 was available around 2010ish and it was replaced by the Conny G by 2013. As far as I'm aware, the first generation of Daiwa Match rods with line ratings as high as 8lb (for the Extra Power (XP) versions) included the first Spectron Match range. The XP models and 17-20' River Control were rated 1lb-8lb. The 13' Power was 1lb-6lb.

By the time we got to the Conny G (and I suspect that the Spectron M2 may have been similarly rated), the power versions were 2-8lb and the XP versions were 3-10lb.

View attachment 29779

View attachment 29780
I wasn’t really going by the dates and eras that they were in circulation, that’s definitely more towards your knowledge level than mine.
My logic (like you say probably inaccurate) was based on the look and feel of the blanks and certain rods in those ranges even though a decade or more apart. To me the conny z m2 is near on identical to a speccy

Swap the seat and graphics and i think id struggle to tell em apart

2011 Spectron M2
2011 Spectron M2.jpg

2012 Connoisseur G
2012 Connoisseur G.jpg

2013 Connoisseur G
2013 Connoisseur G.jpg

2014 Spectron Match
2014 Spectron Match.jpg

Back