• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Question for the braid users out there

Darren Hawen

Senior Member & Supporter
Does anyone use braid, not mono as a mainline when fishing the bigger rivers especially with extra water on?

Interested to hear the pro's and con's ie less drag due reduced diameter and abrasion resistance for example.

I'm looking to get out into the flow when fishing an angry Thames and any advantage sought to help keep a bait out for longer.

Cheers.

Been using Daiwa j braid 0.23. A few years now. 100%, just make sure you use a leader, braid and rocks don't like each other. I use Gardner tricklink as my leader.

I've only used braid twice mainly as I've only been twice this season on the Wye. But it's definitely far easier to hold bottom with less weight and there seems to be less line in the water and less chance of picking up leaves etc. Downside seems to be lot of recommendations for brands and BS/diameters seem to be unavailable.

If one of the benefits of braid is that a smaller diameter means less water resistance/easier to hold bottom, then doesn't adding a shock/abraision leader negate a lot of that benefit?

I can see it might work in deeper water, where the leader is near the bottom where water flow is slower, but in shallower swims doesn't this mean there isn't a lot of braid beneath the surface?

I have used braid a lot in general coarse fishing situations for bream etc, where the main benefit is enhanced bite detection but you don't need that for barbel!! 😀

If one of the benefits of braid is that a smaller diameter means less water resistance/easier to hold bottom, then doesn't adding a shock/abraision leader negate a lot of that benefit?

I can see it might work in deeper water, where the leader is near the bottom where water flow is slower, but in shallower swims doesn't this mean there isn't a lot of braid beneath the surface?

I have used braid a lot in general coarse fishing situations for bream etc, where the main benefit is enhanced bite detection but you don't need that for barbel!! 😀
Generally in heavy flows, even in shallower water, the line will be in a bow. So there is much more line in the water than you perhaps think? Certainly in proportion to the leader, the majority of which, if not all, will be in the deeper/slower flow.

The leader will always be pointing downstream, its only 5 foot long, so it's fairly inconsequential tbh. The fish ain't bothered either, I used to use amnesia black in 25lb, the more they can see the better, even on shallow Yorkshire rivers. You can use fluoro, if it makes you feel better.

Should read 0.22m.
Is 37.5 Lb BS (0.22) necessary ? New to Braid so would appreciate learning why a heavy BS is required. I fish mainly the middle / tidal trent around Newark so looking for a braid suitable for floodwater fishing to lessen the weight required to hold bottom and hopefully reduce the tendency to collect weed/leaves etc.

Is 37.5 Lb BS (0.22) necessary ? New to Braid so would appreciate learning why a heavy BS is required. I fish mainly the middle / tidal trent around Newark so looking for a braid suitable for floodwater fishing to lessen the weight required to hold bottom and hopefully reduce the tendency to collect weed/leaves etc.
The issue with braid is abrasion resistance, or rather the lack of it.

My fishing mate tried 30lb ish braid (on the Thames) and lasted a couple of months before he gave up after a bad experience with a big fish. He subsequently re caught the fish (14+) and managed to retrieve his tackle.

His advice to me was to stick with my heavy (0.35+) mono.

The issue with braid is abrasion resistance, or rather the lack of it.

My fishing mate tried 30lb ish braid (on the Thames) and lasted a couple of months before he gave up after a bad experience with a big fish. He subsequently re caught the fish (14+) and managed to retrieve his tackle.

His advice to me was to stick with my
Thats why u must use a leader. Apart from losing kit it stops undue suffering to fish, by anglers inadequacies, by not using a leader.....

It will vary between brands, but as rule or thumb, I work on braid having a knot strength of about 50% of stated BS (it is probably closer to 60% with most braids).

And what is there to be gained from fishing too light?

As Jon says, always use a leader.

Used braid once, the force of the current set up a vibration in my line. A bit like what you can get when sea fishing with 30lb mono when sea fishing in a strong tide.. So, don't like the stuff.

Is 37.5 Lb BS (0.22) necessary ? New to Braid so would appreciate learning why a heavy BS is required. I fish mainly the middle / tidal trent around Newark so looking for a braid suitable for floodwater fishing to lessen the weight required to hold bottom and hopefully reduce the tendency to collect weed/leaves etc
Claimed breaking strain of braid is utterly unreliable , i.e. it usually breaks way under it 's claimed BS , hence people using braid lines with very high breaking strains to compensate as it were . Given this , its poor knot strength ,and woeful resistance to abrasion I see very little point in using the stuff as a mainline , or indeed at all .

Thats why u must use a leader. Apart from losing kit it stops undue suffering to fish, by anglers inadequacies, by not using a leader.....
If it was as simple as using a leader (my friend was) maybe a few more of us would use braid more often….

Your right Tim, its just not that simple using braid... its not everyone's cup of tea.

It was after a lengthy discussion with Ray Walton, I have used PowerPro 20lb braid for all my barbel fishing for 20+ years. Have always only used centrepins, have never used a leader, and have never had problems.

Ok, don't fish rocky areas, but do fish the Trent. Mainly southern rivers : St. Pats, Loddon, Kennet, Lea etc

It was after a lengthy discussion with Ray Walton, I have used PowerPro 20lb braid for all my barbel fishing for 20+ years. Have always only used centrepins, have never used a leader, and have never had problems.

Ok, don't fish rocky areas, but do fish the Trent. Mainly southern rivers : St. Pats, Loddon, Kennet, Lea etc
Out of interest Paul do you use the original power pro or the newer super 8 slick?

Back