• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

question for ray walton/rolling meat

Terry Taylor

ray, i understand that for your rolling method you have for a few years now used braid instead of mono . i presume this is for the direct contact/ feel etc with braid. can you give any reccomendations as to brands used, breaking strains etc. any advice would be gratefully received. many thanks, terry.

Terry, i am not for one minute suggesting the way i fish with meat is comparable with Ray Walton but i have trundled meat in the past and i have always used Powerpro in 20lbs without any problems.

Line is a personal thing mate, for every one who swears by a certain line there will be someone who hates it............. you need to make up your own mind mate.

Try this guy, cheap and ultra reliable.

ttp://www.fishingtackle-online.co.uk/

I always use Powerpro 30lb Green braid. Works great. Have caught on mono as well.

I think Ray uses Spiderwire 30lb but he'd have to confirm that...

The only problem I have with Powerpro is that it is a floating braid (my preference while I was carping was Nash bullet braid, which sinks)

I realise that a lot of barbel fishermen use it, so it obviously works in a moving water situation...I just struggle to get my head round fishing with a line that floats :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Use what you are comfortable with, allot of the lads using Powerpro do so because a prominent poster on here used to sell the stuff;) Having said that it's not a bad idea to use a floating braid as it will keep the line away from any bottom snags.

Use what you are comfortable with, allot of the lads using Powerpro do so because a prominent poster on here used to sell the stuff;) Having said that it's not a bad idea to use a floating braid as it will keep the line away from any bottom snags.

Yes Adrian, I had considered that point when trying to get my head round it. It struck me that this point was particularly likely to be an advantage when rolling a bait...which is quite possibly why master Walton alledgedly uses a floating braid.

The other factor in it's favour is the fact that it is much thinner than sinking braid for the same BS......Hmmmmmmm...now you have got me thinking:eek:

For those who are not familiar with braided lines, it may be worth mentioning here that the facts are that virtually all of them float...or are at least somewhat buoyant... in their original state.

In order to make them sink, a heavier material is woven in at the manufacturing stage.

Unfortunately, this heavy material adds little to the strength of the end product....so...you end up with a braid which does sink (albeit not as fast as some mono), but is thicker than the original :rolleyes:

However, while floating braid was a no-no for me in my still water carping, I now begin to see definite possibilities for some river work.

Damn...if I carry on rationalising like this I can see me talking myself into buying a whole load of expensive new line...who the hell started all this anyway:D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
If braid doesn't float yer boat then try Shimano Technium line. It is pre-stretched (but not as much as double strength) and has a very low diameter for its rating.

Less than £20 for an enormous spool of the stuff makes it cheap and its very useful in the floods as well.

rolling\trundling

thankyou all very much for the replies, ihave been on the tidal trent for nearly 25 years for carp and barbel so this method is very new to me, obviously it is a bit different from what i use on the trent!

Terry...I use Spiderwire Ultracast 30lb b/s Moss Green.(yellow and black box)
The diameter of the line is similar to 8lb mono.
You need the thickness of the line so that the current can tow it along to give the better presentation.
Braid also breaks well under the stated b/s so that is why you have to go up a couple of b/s strengths. ie 10lb braid will break at around 6, 15 at 9, 20 at 15 and so on, as there is virtually no stretch factor as with most mono's.
There are also 2 types of braid, Flat and Round. Flat braids are made in the lower b/s, and they are not as good as the round braids in the higher b/s.
All braids at the hooks/rig end will eventually turn white after some use so you have to carry a marker pen to re-colour it on occassions.
I have used Spiderwire of various types for around 12-15 years trying b/s of10 -15 - 20 - 30 - 40. 30lb b/s is the best
Hope this helps

terry...i use spiderwire ultracast 30lb b/s moss green.(yellow and black box)
the diameter of the line is similar to 8lb mono.
You need the thickness of the line so that the current can tow it along to give the better presentation.
Braid also breaks well under the stated b/s so that is why you have to go up a couple of b/s strengths. Ie 10lb braid will break at around 6, 15 at 9, 20 at 15 and so on, as there is virtually no stretch factor as with most mono's.
There are also 2 types of braid, flat and round. Flat braids are made in the lower b/s, and they are not as good as the round braids in the higher b/s.
All braids at the hooks/rig end will eventually turn white after some use so you have to carry a marker pen to re-colour it on occassions.
I have used spiderwire of various types for around 12-15 years trying b/s of10 -15 - 20 - 30 - 40. 30lb b/s is the best
hope this helps

brilliant ray, thankyou very much indeed.

Back