• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Quality winter clothing

John Lee

I'm not wanting to wish the year away but I need some new cold weather, waterproof fishing clothing by the back end of the year and I'm hoping you can give me some recs based on your experience, please.

I prefer plain olive colour, don't like salopettes?, want a 2 piece suit.

Any thoughts - I'm happy to pay for quality.

Many thanks,
John

Many thanks Julian, I will have a look at the Pro Logic range and The TK Max clothing when I'm next near my local store.
All the best,
John

I would second T K max it is well worth a look, managed to pick up olive lined water proof trousers, olive waterproof over trousers & crag hopers kiwi trousers all for under £40.

John, I'd seriously seriously go for Seeland clothing, the seeland beater set is amazing... The trousers are around £80-90, and the jacket around £150+ but they are awesome.
I and my shooting mates have had them for 4+ seasons and they are like they were bought yesterday.
they are olive green, but the coats do come very big, so id suggest going a size down, probably cos its made for those massive scandinavians...

John, I'd seriously seriously go for Seeland clothing, the seeland beater set is amazing... The trousers are around £80-90, and the jacket around £150+ but they are awesome.
I and my shooting mates have had them for 4+ seasons and they are like they were bought yesterday.
they are olive green, but the coats do come very big, so id suggest going a size down, probably cos its made for those massive scandinavians...
quality stuff for people with fat wallets.

280 quid for me to catch on barbed wire, sit in cow ****, scramble through brambles, and slip in the river..... Sounds a bit silly to me! Rather spend the money on bait, drink and loose women and not necessarily in that order! :D

I'm not convinced by shooting or mountaineering kit for fishing. Fishing is a whole lot less mobile than either. That's not to say that most of the stuff aimed at anglers is either good quality or value for money.

Seeland kit is decent without being fantastic and can be bought for an awful lot less than the prices quoted if you look around. If you want to be offended by high prices then look at the premium brand from the same company, Harkila.:eek:

I know its not "fishing gear", but last year when I was looking for winter gear in the late summer, my sporty sons suggested that I take a look at snowboarding clothing, bit sceptical, but I found a sale on in a shop, took one look at the stuff and was well impressed, the trousers are fleece thermal lined, waterproof, are generous in the cut and have reinforced knee and backside,which helps with bankside scrambling, and have a treble lined lower leg, zipped from ankle to knee, so you can wear thermal wellies, or boots, the trousers unzip, but have a seperate lining to go inside the boot, you then zip the outer leg down so no water goes down the boot.Waterproof, warm as toast , and come in olive green, at least mine did, and a steal at £25.00, the normal retail price was £75.00.
I did not bother with the jacket, as I have 3 sets of jackets myself .....so not needed, but the snowboarding jackets sold seperateley were the same quality.
Just a suggestion.

DAve

I always get people saying that they would prefer to spend the money on kit etc but surely being comfortable warm/dry is paramount in cold weather, Ive caught these trousers on barbed wire and its not even marked them, also sat on wet moss for over 2-3 hours while shooting and they were bone dry inside. Ive had mine 4 years so thats only 20quid a year, well worth it,especially how they got years left in them.

Hi John ,

Have a look at Deerhunter clothing. I've been using it for five years now and it just wont wear out....it's made for shooters/hunters and there is a large range so plenty of choice.

Cheers

Tommo

Had the sundridge igloo for 3/4 years now, probably my best bit of kit. Only wear t-shirt and shorts underneath as its warm as toast no matter how cold. Its given me so many more hours fishing in the winter months for chub and grayling and keeping me warm on my barbel blanks. I know it may not be what you specifically were looking for but I can't recommend it enough.

Anything by Sundridge,I have the igloo have had it since 2002 and it is still perfectly good

mike

I have had a 2nd hand Sundridge bib & braces and jacket for ages - excellent quality and still going strong! The jacket is so warm with the lining zipped in that except on the very coldest days you can get away with just a thin shirt underneath.

Back