• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

PVA Bags

Tim Lawrence

I’ve got a new PVA mesh dispenser on order ready to use this weekend. I’d like to get your thoughts on how I’m planning to use it, to see if I’m missing any tricks.

I’ll be fishing the local river, mostly in swims that are no more than 3-4t deep. The flow is mostly steady, with some faster glides. I can hold bottom with a 1oz lead normally, but 2oz is better with any extra water on. I plan fish that with a 2.5ft 10lb Daiwa Hyper Sensor hooklength, to a size 12 Guru MWG with a banded 8mm Sonu Spicy Sausage pellet, with a paste wrap as a change.

I want to try feeding with PVA so what I’m thinking is to mix 2mm, 6mm and a couple of broken 8mm (matching) pellets and fill the PVA bag, pop my lead in and cut the top of the PVA so that I can tie it in a knot around the swivel. Then I’ll hook the hook into the mesh and gently underarm it to my chosen location (hopefully not a tree!)

Having never used it before, does this sound like a reasonable approach? I’m concerned that if simply hook the bag on, it might come off as soon as it hits the water and the freebies will float off downstream.

Are there any tips that you experienced barbel anglers can offer?

Thanks in advance

hi tim pva bag clips always work for me... attach to your leader swivel and pull the knot of the bag down int the skinny bit .... i also glug my mesh bags with a pva friendly liquid
8E587052-41F7-4CFB-BEB7-F76E1F7B1242.jpeg

Just seen there’s another thread on this topic, sorry for the repeated question. I should have looked really.

My questions are answered in here:

PVA mesh is great . . .My tips for use are -

1 - Get an old camera film cannister - you can store these in the larger diameter mesh tubes - it will also measure out a portion of pellet / whatever to create an exact golf ball sized bag every time.

2 - Def use the PVA clips and attach to your lead (Avid do some good ones) Just push the knotted bag into the recess job done . . .

3 - I generally double bag especially when using silly long hooklinks - by adding a 2nd bag to the hook it helps kick out the hooklink and avoids tangles . . .the bag may end up superfluous / rolling downstream etc but at least your presentation is spot on . . .maybe glugging the bag on the hookend to make it melt slower would help with this . . .

4 - Make sure (at this time of year) not to use winter variant mesh. Use a summer variant and glug if your worried about 'instant melt' . . .

5 - If using boilies only consider 'stringers' (PVA string) as an alternative presentation option . . .using a korda kutter chop boilies in half and thread on a long stringer needle then tie as a necklace on the PVA clip . . .cheaper than mesh

Well my pva clips haven’t arrived yet so I ended up attaching the pva mesh bags to my lead clip, just pushed it through and slid the rubber over. Seemed to do the trick and the weight of the lead took the bait straight to the bottom where it broke down as it should. It must have worked as I landed my first barbel of the season today at 6.5lb. So happy with that result!
BEF33223-2046-4475-A8B1-4189F79E5604.jpeg

Back