• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

PVA Bags

Jonathan Jones

Never used pva bags till the other day" spent at least 2 hours making 14 bags up the night before" so fidley trying to tie short pva string around the end of a filled bag! then put little loops on end to attach to leger swivel"

Anyways made my 1st cast the next day! only for the bag to come away from pva string when hitting the water! and seeing the bag float down river :mad:

This happened the same next 3 chucks! so I just put a feeder on at the end!

whot is the best was to attach a PVA bag to your swivel please?

I’ve only ever used them carp fishing and always put the lead in the bag with the feed using a short hooklink. And your right they are a nightmare to tie. You not thought of using pva mesh instead?

I always use mesh tubes,with the wider sizes you can put the lead inside,cut down the pva to form two tag ends and knot those through the lead swivel,I use this way for longish chucks on the Thames,seems to work fine(four season mesh,takes longer to break down

PVA mesh for me as well. Takes less than a minute to tie a bag,.. I either use a pva clip or leave a long tag to tie to neck of an inline lead.

Anchor do a range of leads that have a black rubber o-ring around in a groove.You twist and push the open end of the pva bag inside the o-ring and push it back on the lead.Very neat and you can then nick the hook in the outside of the bag to avoid tangles.

Apologies Dave
Korda Four Season Original Funnel Web PVA

If you want big amounts of bait like you can stick in some bags I brought off eBay a few years back some 75mm mesh that you could make monster size mesh bags out of. Was cheap as well

Anchor do a range of leads that have a black rubber o-ring around in a groove.You twist and push the open end of the pva bag inside the o-ring and push it back on the lead.Very neat and you can then nick the hook in the outside of the bag to avoid tangles.

Will look into those leads Mark" these flat leads that hold bottom well ?

lot of you guys only use pva mesh! How you get on with using groundbait in mesh bag because not very wide and groundbait coming out sides of mesh!

Jonathan, are you using perforated bags? If not, are you puncturing them numerous times with a baiting needle (or similar)? Also, as suggested, get your lead in the bag with your groundbait etc. Don't worry about tying it on, just wet the edges of the PVA bag and seal it up (it sticks to itself) so that there's hardly any air left in it. Make sure it's perforated in some way as it will be too buoyant otherwise and the contents might be released before it hits the bottom.

I buy large bags off eBay (210x70) half fill leaving a decent tail then squeeze the bag to get the air out then twist the tail and wrap it round the swivel on the lead then lick it and stick it to the bag,you can also trap the hooklink under the tail making it tangle resistant,sounds a bit complicated but after doing it a few times it's dead easy,as Anthony says perforate the bag (after squeezing the air out)
Bags cost less than 10p each if you search ebay,to fill them I use a Fox funnel and a tablespoon,good luck.

Jonathan, are you using perforated bags? If not, are you puncturing them numerous times with a baiting needle (or similar)? Also, as suggested, get your lead in the bag with your groundbait etc. Don't worry about tying it on, just wet the edges of the PVA bag and seal it up (it sticks to itself) so that there's hardly any air left in it. Make sure it's perforated in some way as it will be too buoyant otherwise and the contents might be released before it hits the bottom.

Thanks for info Anthony" no I don't punch holes in the bag! but try and get all air out bag! so you put lead and hooklink/bait in bag? or just lead mate"

Paul
As you know i've been away from the Barbel scene for a while so please accept my apology for posting something with a C**P in it.:p

safety pins work too, which I cover in plasticene to reduce tangle potential and shininess.

but I never thought about peforating the bags till a couple of weeks ago, doh, even though I had all these safety pins handy.

Big safety pins also make the best baiting needles for push-stops.

I always have a couple of safety pins pinned to my fleece or t-shirt ... you'd thing I was an old punk or someth... oh wait a minute ....

Back