• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

PVA bag question ..

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi, last year I started to use PVA bags to present particles , as an alternative to feeders, I found it very successful, and had no more left over groundbait mixes at the end of a session. I cant now remember what make they were .
I bought some slow melt PVA bags from the net, just so I could be sure that the lead had settled before the bags started melting, but I have discovered that these bags as opposed to slow melt, are actually eventual melt.
In the river, They were still intact and had released no bait at all after about threequarters of an hour, so today I immersed one in a bucket of water , and two hours later it was still intact but "globby" the particles had just about started to break out .

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to speed up the melt time ? Or do I just bin them and get some with a stated melt time on the packaging, if that is the case,could anybody recommend a good reliable brand ?

I have used PVA tube mesh with OK results, it was just the bags seemed a bit easier to contain small particles.

Dave

Dave,
I prefer the mesh too. The fine stuff is great for boilies, pellets, particles or groundbait. Just make sure if using the last two, the mix is not "wet", damp will be fine provided you make a bag up just before using.
Personally, I prefer crushed boilies or small pellets. I can make a dozen bags up the day before, some of the oils then impregnates the mesh and slows the melt down by two or three minutes.
As for your very slow melt bags. 1) ***** them with the baiting needle so water gets inside faster and 2) dampen what ever you use inside them, this will start the melt process even before you cast. ( you will need to practise this though, to get the moisture just right).
Mike

Sorry about that, the site obviously would not allow me to use the word 1) p---k so had to substitute puncture. All I wanted to say was " make a few small holes".
Mike

Thanks for the replies.... I will try the puncturing bag advice, but tbh dont hold out much hope for it to speed up the melting process.
I make up the bags at home and leave them in a sealed container, so no hope of making a damp mix, although with the speed of melt at the moment, they would probably still be intact a fortnight later :0(
I will probably, nay, certainly go back to the mesh tubing. I just wish I could buy some with a stated melt time , not found any yet , still searching.

Cheers !

Dave

PVA Products as above. Find them on eBay and look for auction items. I have bought 10m of mesh for as little as 17p plus postage.

Back