• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Putting a net on a frame

Anthony Pearson

I've just purchased a lureweave net from DL and want to put it on a triangular framed (two rods and connecting chord) specimen net. Is there a link anyone can suggest that shows how to do this?

I've just purchased a lureweave net from DL and want to put it on a triangular framed (two rods and connecting chord) specimen net. Is there a link anyone can suggest that shows how to do this?

I have no idea whether there is a link to an article for doing this, but it is so simple that I doubt it.

Assuming that you have the frame free of the spreader block and handle, the next thing to do is locate the two apertures in the top seam of the net. These apertures or access holes will be on the inside of the top seam, about 3" to 5" apart.

Take either of the two rods (arms) and enter the unconnected end through either one of the two apertures just discussed. Now push the arm through the tubular seem on the top of the net, rather like feeding a curtain wire through the seam at the top of a curtain.

Eventually, you will will reach the other end of the seam, and the arm will appear out of the second of the two access holes. It is then just a case of pushing and working the net off of the connected end of the first arm, onto the connecting cord, and then on down the second arm.

Obviously, when the net reaches the unconnected end of the second arm, it is job done!....sorted :D

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks, but the net has no seam at all! I'm replacing a Middy 30 plus net with a lureweave net for Pike fishing (and Barbel when the water's up) and have contacted the suppliers for advice and am waiting for a response.

Thanks, but the net has no seam at all! I'm replacing a Middy 30 plus net with a lureweave net for Pike fishing (and Barbel when the water's up) and have contacted the suppliers for advice and am waiting for a response.

Have just looked at the DL site, and I can see your problem. It would appear that Dave has got his hands on some nice mesh, but the design of the net is rather old fashioned, with no top seam.

If you look at the picture of his boat net on the site, you will see that this has the type of mesh I assume you have bought, whereas the standard triangular net above that has the standard mesh with the seam. Looking again at the picture of the boat net, it can be seen that he has simply threaded the frame through the top loops of the mesh. Simple...and I suppose it will work OK :)

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers Dave. I am still awaiting a response form DL and was considering doing the same as you had suggested. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Here's the reply from DL:

"It's a matter of time really. Start threading the loops on to one arm and keep going, then you have to fiddle about to get them all on. try and get the seam to run from the spreader block to the middle of the cord when the net is assembled. When you have everything lined up to your satisfaction with the net set up it's a good idea to use cable ties to secure the loops to the cord where it joins the arms, and also at the other ends of the arms.

Hope this makes some sense. It takes about ten/fifteen minutes to get the nets threaded on and lined up as a rule."

It'll probably take me an hour!

Let's just hope that it will all be worth it in the end :D I assume you bought it in the hope that the large mesh size and smooth material would make the net more usable, with less drag, in strong flowing water?

Sounds like a plan...hope it works for you:)

Cheers, Dave.

It was mainly for landing Pike (with lures in mind), but on the basis that it would double-up nicely on the rivers. We'll see!!

One problem with large mesh nets is that the lead can go through one of the holes, maybe even more than one and get in a tangle; I've found that particularly with Pike paternoster rigs. The DL Luremesh though seems impossible to tangle even treble hooks in... I've had one for a few years for Pike; lure and baits mainly used from a boat; as said above; really good in flowing water.

It should give the barbel a nice breather after being caught too...

Back