• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Proposed Destruction on the Upper Avon

Adam King

Hi all

I returned yesterday from holiday to find the thread below on my Facebook feed. I’m shocked in this day and age that a council is considering destroying an area of natural beauty, so that boaters can chug up and down the river, in their diesel fuelled engines, for an extra few miles from Stratford to Warwick. For anyone who doesn’t know the upper Warwickshire Avon, it is mostly shallow with natural riffles and pools disbursed with areas of slow deep water above the wiers. I implore anyone who has an interest in the Warkshire Avon, or just the environment in general, to send an email to the councillors listed below:
tony.jefferson@stratford-dc.gov.uk
mark.cargill@stratford-dc.gov.uk
chris.kettle@stratford-dc.gov.uk
penny-anne.odonnell@stratford-dc.gov.uk
mike.brain@stratford-dc.gov.uk
maurice.howse@stratford-dc.gov.uk
lynda.organ@stratford-dc.gov.uk
jacqui.harris@stratford-dc.gov.uk
daren.pemberton@stratford-dc.gov.uk
stephen.thirlwell@stratford-dc.gov.uk

There is a meeting on 11th February so please send your objections, however small they maybe, today.

1549806773802.png

Attachments

• 1549807345351.png
    1549807345351.png
    402.6 KB · Views: 197
If there are water voles on this stretch I would point this out in any objection , they are a critically endangered species and wash from powered boats will certainly destroy their nesting holes / refuges . As this is a shallow stretch there may be areas where fish spawn , again powered boat activity would damage spawning areas or fish spawn

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.
Be vigilant.
See river Kennet for details.
These boating/ canoeist types are persistent and have mighty financial support.

Back