• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prolonged heat

Did you see the link Paul put on the wye thread? There’s graphs on there that as far as we can make out show there is more oxygen in the water the higher the temp got.
I just read it. Let me explain this, the solubility of oxygen decreases as temperature increases. This means that warmer surface water requires less dissolved oxygen to reach 100% air saturation than does deeper, cooler water. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
It probably makes perfect sense but it’s all too technical for me. I was always under the impression that higher temps meant less oxygen but them graphs threw me. That’s why I wasn’t sure I was even reading them right as it didn’t make sense

Plus I don’t know the Wye particularly so no idea where about on the river those measuring stations are so no idea of depths of water.
In saying that though also don’t know at what depths these measurements are taken. I don’t know if they measure in the river or remove a bit of water to analyse

It probably makes perfect sense but it’s all too technical for me. I was always under the impression that higher temps meant less oxygen but them graphs threw me. That’s why I wasn’t sure I was even reading them right as it didn’t make sense
Let me put it in this way, you have two glass of water, one hot, one cold, and you put same amount of salt (or sugar if you prefer sweet) leave it for same amount of time, the hot water will taste more salty, right? Because more salt saturated in it. But if you measure the percentage of salt in the water, they may same or the cold may higher, because that's the maximum amount of salt it can dissolve. The water and oxygen works in opposite way.

Let me put it in this way, you have two glass of water, one hot, one cold, and you put same amount of salt (or sugar if you prefer sweet) leave it for same amount of time, the hot water will taste more salty, right? Because more salt saturated in it. But if you measure the percentage of salt in the water, they may same or the cold may higher, because that's the maximum amount of salt it can dissolve. The water and oxygen works in opposite way.
I don't know which dissolved oxygen instruments the EA use. However, I do know that diss O2 meters can be unreliable and need regular calibration and cleaning. Are the EA doing this? I wouldn't be surprised if they're not. Citing the usual excuses about how they are not funded enough.

I think that we can all agree (at least the majority) on here that fishing for barbel during the current higher temperatures is not good for barbel.

I did ask the question before about measuring dissolved oxygen but I presumed because they did not know the answer I did not get a response

Are the results the same in different swims or at different times of the day or deeper / shallower water …near weirs. In backwaters etc etc

I did ask the question before about measuring dissolved oxygen but I presumed because they did not know the answer I did not get a response

Are the results the same in different swims or at different times of the day or deeper / shallower water …near weirs. In backwaters etc etc
The results must vary considerably I would have thought.

Abundance of weed must be a big factor as well - putting in oxygen during the day and then removing some out at night.

Yes its quite obvious …that’s why I asked the question of someone that was putting it up as an argument to fish for barbel in this weather… but like I said I didn’t get an answer it obviously didn’t suit the narrative …. Must have been a match angler 😉

Out chopping logs shortly, it's turned chilly. The Swifts have left and a skein of Geese were flying further north over the wash last night. It will soon be time to hang our stockings, the heat of summer 2022 will be but a distant memory.

I'm sure the BBC will come up with more Armageddon your all going to die weather reports before the year is out.

Back