• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prolonged heat

So, you can't demonstrate any reasoning for the therrmal shock and dissolved oxygen arguments then? Thought not.

Yes, we might have seen fish go belly up. But that does not mean that there aren't places where fish are going about their business as if nothing has happened. That is why I choose the fishing spots as I do.

Question for you, Terry Two-Swivels and Chris Thomson; if you have come to the conclusion that it is not suitable to fish because of the conditions, how do you know when it is suitable? You are not basing your decisions on anything other than the air temperature. So what criteria are you using?
When its snowing !

When its snowing !
it’s not worth it Chris trust me I’ve had many rows with Clive and it’s best just to let him throw his insults around into mid air.
One day he will slip up and throw an insult at a moderator and hopefully that will be his last comment on the place. We’ve got a fantastic forum with some absolutely amazing people on it and a wealth of knowledge. We are never always going to agree but that’s ok because you can disagree and still respect each other. Bit of banter is great too I still love it when the soppy free spirit club give me grief about my scaffolding poles (torrix rods) but there’s never a need to take things to a personal attack level and some people just can’t control it.
ignore him and just wait for the inevitable would be my advice now and something I should of done my self a while ago

Not taking sides but we’re lucky to have the ignore function on bfw, it’s very helpful in making it a more pleasurable experience

I think sometimes people lose sight of the impact their actions have on other on the internet. Fir all the people engaging in a heated argument there may be many more looking in who are discouraged from posting on a forum where that sort of agressive debate can break out.

I have a friend who runs a popular football forum who put me straight on my posting style once. He’d had feedback from people who had drifted away from the site because it was too combative and were too afraid to post.

Not taking sides but we’re lucky to have the ignore function on bfw, it’s very helpful in making it a more pleasurable experience

I think sometimes people lose sight of the impact their actions have on other on the internet. Fir all the people engaging in a heated argument there may be many more looking in who are discouraged from posting on a forum where that sort of agressive debate can break out.

I have a friend who runs a popular football forum who put me straight on my posting style once. He’d had feedback from people who had drifted away from the site because it was too combative and were too afraid to post.
Off the cuff jokey comments can seem passive aggressive but not always meant that way

Just find it a bit sad that some @#@&# are so desperate to go fishing they find every reason to justify why they think its ok to go in these extreme conditions i stead of erring on the side of caution for a short while , cant educate pork as the saying goes
And you still haven't given sufficient valid, i.e. justified reasons to support why your opinion is the right one. BTW have you read the river reports section? It seems that I am not the only one who feels justified in fishing. Perhaps it is you that is wrong? Just a thought.

It's not worth arguing on the internet, no one ever changes their mind. My typing is crap and by the time I've replied to someone, someone else will have posted another reply, so mine becomes irrelevant. So I don't even bother to get involved.

Are you on the Hunting Life forum, Clive ??

So met office are issuing a red warning with temps poss getting to 40 c , river wye are shutting up shop , club lakes up and down the country doing the same high night time temps, angling trust advising to not fish atm , dissolved oxygen levels on some rivers very low and still you think its ok to go out ! Ffs come end of the week and it might all be over and we can think about venturing out again , just need a little patience clive , barbel are suffering enough with abstraction , predation , pollution , and you still want to give them a little more stress on top and make them struggle after capture , and you have a dig about a photo of me in the snow !!😂😂😂😂 you really are a melt !@

Hi men ,

I was only saying to the other mods how well the site was going , how everyone was bumping along , with lots of varied subjects being discussed. This thread has been running , and tbh going in circles , and we value everyone's opinions knowing full well that people post theirs without much chance of changing them , but that's how conversations bumble along 👍. When there are two distinct sides things can escalate with just a misplaced comment that reads wrong , but if nothing else can we keep things more friendly please 🙂

Getting to hot for humans soon , let alone fish 😁 , and as people may know me and sue used to love sight fishing , seeking it out where ever possible all over the country . When things got a bit hot , we used the time wisely and visited many stretches with a bit of bait but no rods . Watching is seldom wasted , finding new stretches , new swims , watching feeding fish gave us as much pleasure as catching , well almost , something for all to think about 🤔😁

Hatter

Last edited:
I think a few are getting confused with the consequences of the lowered oxygen saturation point with increasing temperatures. We are not going to see water temps get to a level where at saturation point there isn’t enough oxygen for coarse fish. The important reading is the dissolved oxygen concentration in mg/l (as per Sids earlier post, my local club also use a Polaris). Approx. 6.5 mg/l means normal function for coarse fish, 4.7 mg/l is sub lethal and around 3 mg/l would be lethal. Salmonids will suffer first.

540E71D7-EEB7-4DE0-B1B8-183D87FFDC6B.jpeg
9A724A3B-34BE-41D6-BF59-D094525AD79D.jpeg

I personally won’t be fishing this weekend, as being red headed, I’ll be hiding in a fridge until Wednesday.

Sam

Agreed Hatter, it’s all become a little tiresome to read now !!
Can we just let it lie now please gents 🙏
Depends what you want from a forum , one that debates sometimes agressivley, serious issues that could affect barbel / barbel habitat , or one that gives out the feel good factor and chats about landing net handles ? Some of us on here are passionate about certain issues and will debate them even if it causes a bit of a ruck , others arnt , if this thread bothers you dont read , if you agree or disagree fight your corner , barbel are suffering through nature and mans intervention , this forum shouldnt back away from contencious issues in case it upsets some

Forecast is for 39 degrees here on Monday. That'll be nice for us outside in full dark Blue PPE overalls. Hope we aren't gloving on Monday, as that will be unbearable.

I think a few are getting confused with the consequences of the lowered oxygen saturation point with increasing temperatures. We are not going to see water temps get to a level where at saturation point there isn’t enough oxygen for coarse fish. The important reading is the dissolved oxygen concentration in mg/l (as per Sids earlier post, my local club also use a Polaris). Approx. 6.5 mg/l means normal function for coarse fish, 4.7 mg/l is sub lethal and around 3 mg/l would be lethal. Salmonids will suffer first.

View attachment 20028View attachment 20029
I personally won’t be fishing this weekend, as being red headed, I’ll be hiding in a fridge until Wednesday.

Sam

Sod it then.....I'll fetch the barbel gear

Depends what you want from a forum , one that debates sometimes agressivley, serious issues that could affect barbel / barbel habitat , or one that gives out the feel good factor and chats about landing net handles ? Some of us on here are passionate about certain issues and will debate them even if it causes a bit of a ruck , others arnt , if this thread bothers you dont read , if you agree or disagree fight your corner , barbel are suffering through nature and mans intervention , this forum shouldnt back away from contencious issues in case it upsets some
Chris

You are a guest on this forum, it is AndyF's forum and he has a team that do our best to keep order. It is not for you to decide what should be discussed on the forum !

Back