• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prodigy TX 12ft 1.75lb Specimen Rod

Paul Boyle

Hello all

Was thinking of getting myself the above rod , I hear its a tad stiff in action ..has anyone used one ? ..

cheers.

Have'nt used the specimen Paul, but I have always liked the 1.75 12' barbel.
Quite a thin light blank and has a tippy action without being a broomstick.
Good rod for the price and has caught me some decent fish, some might find it a tad over the top for a small river.:)

Paul, i have the original Prodigy ( not the tx ) in a 2lb tc, its my fav rod. Go for it. You,ll get very mixed reviews about Greys rods, but ive never had a problem ( touch wood ). :)

I had the old prodigy and bar 1 badger rod I had the worst barbel rods I've used. Sold after 5 days.

If nothing else this thread certainly shows how opinions differ and therefore you should make your own opinion:(

I have a pair of the old Prodigy 1.75 lb which as opposed to Clive in my opinion are great rods, I also have a pair of Harrison 1.5 lb and I love them both and would find it difficult to choose between them (situation dependant) so If I were you I would ensure that I get 'a good feel' of any prospective purchase (by which I mean get assistance to put the rod into a full curve) in the tackle shop and go from there.

As an extension of your arm a rod is a very personal thing and only you can know if it feels right or not.

I must add that I don't think you can go far wrong with a Greys rod;)

Keith

Agree with Keith about the Greys rods, ive got 3 Greys rods and love them all, i had an Harrison 11ft and hated it after one use, i sold it on here. Rods are so much a personal thing. Good luck in your quest. :)

I've used the original Prodigy 1.75 rods for years and always felt they weren't quite powerful enough, friends used the 1.5 version and thought they had plenty of power? I've now changed over to the Fox Duo-Lite FX Twin Tips and find the 1.75 in that to be exactly what I wanted from the Prodigy.

Definitely a matter of personal choice, try one out before deciding if it's what YOU want.

Thanks guys for your help.

Opted for the above rod and having used it only once I was impressed ..chucked a 4oz feeder mid river on the trent with no bother, landed 8 chub on it to ,no Barbel as yet.

Back