• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prince Albert Club - River Ribble

Colin Hipwell

Hello Folks and a happy new year to you :)

This is my first post , so please be gentle with me .

I`m 47 and live near Preston in Lancs and have been fishing the Ribble for around 12 months - up until this time Ive mainly been into match fishing on the local commercials ect .

At the moment , Im still getting used to river fishing , so not concentrating on barbel exclusively right now - although its something I`d like to do once I gain more river experience .

I`m currently a member of Southport DAA , who have some decent water around Preston . I`ve also applied to join Prince Albert AA , and would like to hear your your opinions . Bearing in mind , its a fair old chunk of cash to join , is it worth it for the stretches they control on the Ribble - as thats the main reason i`d be joining ?

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly recieved

Tight lines , Colin :)

all as i know is they control loads of the severn but rarely fish it, you could walk miles along their pieces & never see an angler. sheer waste. :mad::mad::mad:

oh sorry colin,,,,,,,,,,,,,welcolme aboard.

First rule of Prince Albert is you don't talk about Prince Albert;)

How true that is! So many views, so few replys. . .

all as i know is they control loads of the severn but rarely fish it, you could walk miles along their pieces & never see an angler.

Some would argue that's why it's worth the wait!

Colin - if it's just for the Ribble then no, it's not worth it. When viewed as a complete package it's incredible value for money. I waited 3 years for my invite but had to turn it down - first child turned up during the wait and although i still get out a fair bit i'm not travelling enough to explore all their waters. There are other clubs with open membership on the river that will give you a bit more water to go at.

Fantastic club, brilliant selection of waters, all well run, strict rules, no litter.
Might be a bit expensive if you just wanted to fish the Ribble
- the Ribble thread might be best option for more opinions.

Will, can I please refer you to the second rule of Prince Albert: you don't take about Prince Albert.

I let my paas membership lapse because although they have miles of the Severn local to me most of it is almost impossible to access unless you are young and fit.
I also found it to have more unnecessary restrictive rules than any other club I have ever been involved with. While I realise they are legislating for the lowest common denominator do they really need a rule which says no tins when they already have one which says no litter and another which says no alcohol? Does the no tins rule cover the barbel anglers tobacco tin and the fly anglers mucelin tin and does the no alcohol one cover the colonels hip flask?
Whenever I fished their waters I always felt someone was looking over my shoulder.

- the Ribble thread might be best option for more opinions.

Doubt it! - most of em are PAAS members and most of em have viewed this thread already! Makes no difference which part of the site you ask the question they ain't saying nothing! Having fished with most of them, and still being in contact after they crossed over, all i can say regarding the PAAS stretches of the Ribble is that if you do join - you will need a big flask and plenty of pies to feed the nuicance species out of your swim. :D

Thanks for the reply`s chaps . I didnt realise just how strict the PAAS publicity ban was ! :eek:

(oops ! Ive mentioned them twice now :eek:)

Anyway , hopefully the River settles down in the next day or two - I`m off for a bash on the Southport length on Friday :)

you will need a big flask and plenty of pies to feed the nuicance species out of your swim. :D

Andrew:eek::eek::D:D;)

Thanks for the reply`s chaps . I didnt realise just how strict the PAAS publicity ban was ! :eek:

(oops ! Ive mentioned them twice now :eek:)

Anyway , hopefully the River settles down in the next day or two - I`m off for a bash on the Southport length on Friday :)

Welcome to the site Colin, enjoy yourself friday;)

Black list for you son! Don't bother applying now! :D

:D:D:D

Back