• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prescription Polarised Sunglasses

Neil Kirk

Time for some new prescription polarised suglasses because my 20+ year old metal frames are knackered and the lenses keep falling out - I have sat on them a few times which didn't help.

The Pentax polarised lenses in brown glass have been very good.I have got a couple of pairs of Maui Jims with glass lenses which are superb and I have worn them with contact lenses but finding it increasingly difficult to wear contact lenses for more than 6 hours (dry eyes with advancing age).

Am happy to source the frames (wrap around I think) and glass lenses seperately.

Any ideas?

Neil

As said above
Contact Chris, he’s a top bloke and will be able to offer the best advice.

Must admit I’m completely biased now towards Maui Jim. I bought both my pairs through Chris.

IMO Maui’s are the best lenses out there - but the prescription ones are a fearsome price. Mine need updating and I’m loath to spend the money.

My current ‘cheat’ is a pair of Fortis over glasses that cost £35. They are fine for U.K. fishing, but whether they will cut it for saltwater fly fishing I won’t know until I go back to Cuba in May.

Hi!

If you want prescription maui Jim's I am your man. Happy to do them at cost price plus postage for members which is around half retail. (they still ain't 'cheap' even at cost price but they are the best polarised lenses around in my opinion and I've tried everything there is!

I'm also happy to help if you want another brand providing its something I can get my hands on.

Feel free to drop me a message

Just be mindful of potential future changes in your prescription too if you're considering expensive models.

I got a pair of designer prescription sunglasses several years ago, not overly expensive, but encouraged me to keep wearing them even when my prescription changed slightly about 2-3 years ago. At my next annual test I think mine might change again so might have to bite the bullet and get some new sunglasses too.

I'd hate to shell out loads on top of the range glasses for them to need replacing a year or so later.

I love Maui Jim. I've got about 3 or 4 pairs at home, but am looking for something prescription related myself.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to find a frame that allows for a close fit?

Just be mindful of potential future changes in your prescription too if you're considering expensive models.

I got a pair of designer prescription sunglasses several years ago, not overly expensive, but encouraged me to keep wearing them even when my prescription changed slightly about 2-3 years ago. At my next annual test I think mine might change again so might have to bite the bullet and get some new sunglasses too.

I'd hate to shell out loads on top of the range glasses for them to need replacing a year or so later.
A pal of mine (a fly fisherman) is sponsored by Maui Jim. They give him 2 pairs of shades every year made to his latest prescription.

Unfortunately his prescription is nothing like mine ! And mine need an update.

That is what concerns me when spending big on prescription glasses - the fact that they will need updating in a year or so. I'm just going to wait til I get some new AI eyeballs!

Prescription Maui Jims your looking at about £400
Smiths about £300
Optilabs, £200

I've just replaced my Specsavers polarised Prescriptions for £74 with a discount voucher
I've worn Specsaver polarised Prescription glasses for over 20 years fishing the crystal clear waters of the Hampshire Avon.
Quite often watching fish feed in ten feet of water in the summer months....
Would the more expensive Maui Jims be any better........?
I doubt they would be 4 times better....

Back