• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Premium clothing brands

Dave, if you invented chewing gum that never lost its taste, everyone would only buy one piece. A jacket that lasts forever, is not in the manufacturers' interest. So, we're stuck with the perennial problem. :(

I can certainly vouch for the U.S. Army ecwcs , I bought a new set of over trousers and a jacket years ago and despite a lot of abuse they have been brilliant.

Another vote for the US ECWCS, had my jacket just over a year now and it is 100% waterproof and very reasonably priced. Think I paid about £80.

Nick C

It's going to be my third winter using my ESP suit and so far it's proved to be excellent, the breathability and waterproof ratings are better than most bivvies and I've yet to get wet or sweaty. The material is quite robust and not at all noisy, certainly as 'thornproof' as the old waxed Barbour type clothing and no sign of any wear yet.
Incidentally I got a Helikon patriot fleece from these people last year and without doubt it's the warmest, best quality fleece I've seen, very tempted to get one of the soft shell versions.
Army Clothing & Outdoor Clothes | Military 1st
Very good firm to deal with, prompt delivery etc.

I'll also add that the U.S. ECWCS is brilliant. I was lucky enough to get mine for free from work but had a clever moment and now have it locked up somewhere in an unlabelled box in my storage unit.
I've never really been in a position to consider premium brand clothing, I'd be too worried about wrecking it. I steer away from fishing brand clothing now as my pro logic suit, whilst nice and warm, is far from waterproof. Jack Pyke kit is ok but I haven't had it long enough for a decent test and to be honest I don't really hold out much hope for it.
My gortex jacket - again U.S. military - is brilliant and hasn't once let me down which is more than can be said for the British set I had a while back, ended up with wet knees and arms. I just wear multiple layers underneath and care not one little bit what I look like!

Giving it a lot of thought I'm going for a layering system that way I can use the same gear in the summer aswell as using it for walking the dogs and going to the gym depending on what layer I wear on top!

Merino wool thermals
Polartec fleece - mammut
Possibly a down jacket (small) one on top of that
U.S. Ecws goretex on top that way if if gets covered in **** it doesn't matter!

I've got a Musto Whisper jacket that I picked up on ebay for £100, rather than the near £400 they are new. Similar to other stuff mentioned, the outer moleskin type material can absorm water, but the Goretex under it will keep you dry, It's a great jacket at a great price. they also do matching trousers, but rarely found on ebay.

I can vouch for Harkila, the best place to get that is from John Norris in Penrith (or on the web - https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/
Especially when they have a sale, its not too pricey then....

Or if you want top notch Camoflaged Gore-Tex try this site, their own brand is absolutely top notch, not cheap but the best never is, I have a set of their 7 in 1 jacket and lined Bib & Brace, with the dollar exchange, the cost including shipping and taxes isn't too bad.
Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices. : Cabela's

if its good enough for Mid western Hunters then a little bit of cold we have won't bother it at all...

Andy

I have a few friends in the states that use the above Cabela's 7 in 1 jacket and think they're great. Weather a lot harsher there and they come through with glowing feedback.
To that end I've just ordered one along with matching bib and braces for less than £400.
Cabela's have a sale on at the mo ending tomorrow.
That being said one of my friends is bringing the gear over with him so I've dodged tax and shipping.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
Good decision, the 7 in 1 jacket is really toastie...in fact its a bit too hot for our current weather.
The lined Bib & Brace is similarly insulated and very comfy...
On of my friends is bringing me an unlined Bib & Brace back next time he goes over for summer use.

There is one little quirk though, the main Jacket Zip does up the opposite way (ie UK ladies side) but it wont affect the functionality of the jacket...its superb, I'm well pleased I bought one.

Andy

Most of the hunting jackets are multi skinned. The outer is rustle free and made to get wet and the inner goretex to keep you dry. Weight that i dont need as a mobile angler. Spent my fair time in the Arctic circle and the layer approach is by far the best and cheapest..good base layers, outer fleece. Snugpak salopettes and jacket, with any new and i emphasise new goretex over the top will give you more wear and less weight than most hunting gear. I pondered on getting some harkila pro hunter even went with the money to buy, its good but i know i would be far warmer and comfier in my normal cold weather wear. If you dont want camo, tale a look at the military 1st website that's on the bfw page. You wont go wrong with there stuff. Currently using british forces lightweight goretex as my outerwear. The jacket and trusers are excellent and weigh nothing. Dont forget your feet, you should start there first too.

I am in agreement with you Jon.
Military Goretex lightweight jacket and over-trousers with Snugpak SJ9 underneath.
Very light and toasty warm too.

Hi all.

For those who are using ecwcs jackets can anyone recommend mil-tec over helikon or is there not much to choose between the two?

I'm looking at the fleece lined jackets and theres about 30 quid difference as the mil-tec is on offer.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all.

For those who are using ecwcs jackets can anyone recommend mil-tec over helikon or is there not much to choose between the two?

I'm looking at the fleece lined jackets and theres about 30 quid difference as the mil-tec is on offer.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Helikon and very happy with it - be careful of sizes, they come very big. I have xl in everything but only large in Helikon.

Back