• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pre-baiting patterns for canal (or river)?

Stephen Bond

Hi all,
Just started pre-baiting a swim on my local canal and was wondering what is the best pattern to use when pre-baiting?

The carp cruise up and down looking for food, quite often in the margins in the day with the boat traffic but to be honest then can be caught anywhere right across the water from either margin to the channel in the middle. So for now I have been putting bait all the way across, but concentrating a little more where I am going to fish, about a rod length from my bank.

My thinking is that I want to attract fish which are cruising anywhere up or down the canal and have them gravitate to the place where I will be fishing.

So am I missing anything?

I got word from my neighbour that he can come fishing on Sunday night a couple of days back so I started baiting that evening night at sunset. Would have liked a couple more days to get the fish in the swing of it a bit more but two days is better than none! I've been putting about 5Kg or so of maize, hemp, pellet, boilies and crumb in each time. Just wondering if I should put some more in tomorrow morning or lunchtime ready for the evening session or leave it now?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

Back