• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Powick weir

Lawrence Breakspear

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Powick Weir on the River Teme will not be destroyed and taken away, which which would have resulted in significant water depth reduction above the weir and unacceptable damage to the riverine environment, a compromise has now been now been suggested where the old concrete fish pass will be taken away and a rock ramp put in its place, thus allowing the River Severn Trust and the EA to achieve their obligations in making the weir more Shad friendly.
I and the rest of the Save Powick Weir Group have been suggesting this compromise for nearly 2 years, I consider this to be a victory for us but more importantly its a victory for the River Teme during its recovery as a Barbel fishery.
To all those that ridiculed us, insulted us and acted against the interests of Anglers, let this be a lesson to you, right will always prevail if you truly believe in something.
I would like to personally thank John Cheyne and Mark Owen of the Angling trust for supporting us in what must have been a difficult role for them, and I would also thank the Severn Rivers Trust and the EA to making the right decision.
We will be having another meeting with all the other parties in October where more details will be available, but so far far so good....well done to everyone for the hard work that has been put in over this whole thing.

My thanks go to :

The Angling Trust
The Barbel Society
Des Taylor
Rich Frampton
Steve Pope
Dilip Sarkar
Nigel Botherway
Keith Arthur
The Angling Times
The Anglers Mail
The Worcester News
Hereford and Worcester radio
Birmingham Anglers Association
Wards AC
St Johns Angling Club
Worcester Angling Association
Kinver Freeliners AC
To all those i havent mentioned for their background support

Thank you....

A victory for persistence and common sense, just goes to show things can be achieved with a bit of organisation and tenacity :)

Well done - I fished there 40 years ago & it was such a lovely spot. Nice to think it`s still there.
We`ve got those blooming turbine things stuck on some of the Yorks rivers - I don`t approve!

Well done on all your efforts, I was sceptical about the impact of removal, but I cannot argue with those that have more knowledge of the River.
Pleased for you.:)

Well done to all involved. Removing the weir was never a simple matter as some implied.
Lets hope that common sense will finally prevail.

cheers Paul

Back