• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Power pro braid fakes ?

I buy the really cheap Chinese stuff on eBay labelled as ‘spectra’ but advertised on eBay a ‘power pro’.

It could be the very same stuff; all I know is that it works for me and is impossibly cheap.
i would not disagree

i used to use Powerpro on all my carp rods but its 'neutral' bouyancy caused me big problems on waters with a high concentration of algae etc

it would attach to the line and make it more buoyant - float

i've now found a far better braid that is impregnated with tungsten and truly sinks and is finer diameter than PowerPro BUT to get it to truly sink because of its fine diameter you have to tighten down and break the meniscus/surface tension - once that is done it sinks

i sometimes add a micro flying backlead (5 -10g)

i use it for all my roach fishing

"Spectra" is basically a generic ... loads of different Spectras are sold. There are some really good ones : lower diameter than PowerPro, accurately quoted breaking strains, less than a third of the price of PP. I use a Spectra, along with other braids for other situations. The most important thing in my opinion is to physically check the bs of any braid you buy (easy with an old pair of Avon scales).

"Spectra" is basically a generic ... loads of different Spectras are sold. There are some really good ones : lower diameter than PowerPro, accurately quoted breaking strains, less than a third of the price of PP. I use a Spectra, along with other braids for other situations. The most important thing in my opinion is to physically check the bs of any braid you buy (easy with an old pair of Avon scales).

Like you I check the BS of my lines. No point judging the line after a fish breaks you off - that is really bad angling!

I have used the Spectra off ebay for many years, I know what label advertised is good stuff now. For it's price it is reliable, but it lack sophistication for some uses, no coatings and a poorly applied colouring. Suited me for the rough 'n tumble of beachcasting over rough ground, the fact it floated kept the body of the line out of rocks in rough seas.

For freshwater I want a little more out of a line for delicate presentation (compared to sea fishing anyway!) and I will spend a bit more.

I did have some fake Power-Pro off ebay once. When tested it broke like cotton, it looked and felt flimsy and tangled easily. From what I read there was a lot of this fake stuff about, gave the genuine article a bad name!

Back