• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Power pro braid fakes ?

Paul Clotworthy

Bought some braid last week it look fake the package it’s is Terrible do fake go around of power pro

Attachments

• 1411A1B5-232D-4728-BCF2-E9907525B79D.jpeg
    1411A1B5-232D-4728-BCF2-E9907525B79D.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 6B5F07EA-75C6-4C58-AD98-D15590FD2466.jpeg
    6B5F07EA-75C6-4C58-AD98-D15590FD2466.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 235
  • EAA5B19F-48DC-466D-8915-6C301F868FC2.jpeg
    EAA5B19F-48DC-466D-8915-6C301F868FC2.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 217
Bought some a few months ago “genuine Shimano “ stated the add,when it turned up it was totally different to the line already on my reels,I think it was a super slick rip off,anyway I got in touch with the seller ( who assured me it was the real thing) and after a few words a refund was given,sent it back and ordered some from Uttings for not much more than the fake stuff,turned up a few days later.Can’t recommend Uttings highly enough,good prices and great service 👍👍

There’s no advantage to buying stuff like this on eBay apart from the convenience of your details already being stored.
If it’s the real deal you’ll pay more to cover the fees and if it’s cheaper than website prices there’s usually good reason why.

I knowingly buy the fake stuff -it is very cheap from China. Mostly 65 and 80 lb.

It works just fine. I use it for backing for saltwater fly fishing, 300 metre spools. No issues.

I run it down a field and check it, then it goes on the reels under heavy tension.

I never use braid in freshwater, but for all my salt needs I used the fake PP for quite a few years before it was removed , and never ever had any problem at all with it, and lets face it, the saltwater environment is generally far more rough on line than fresh.
The fake PP was less than a quarter of the price of the real deal, lasted as long,probably longer, a gave the same advantages as a more expensive braid, and did not hurt the pocket f I lost any due to snags etc.

Whats not to like ?

David

Do uses think it looks fake
I use the Chinese stuff for fly fishing for permit - the holy grail of saltwater fly fishing. If I thought for a second that it was (fake) sub standard and might let me down then I wouldn’t entertain it. Yes I could buy Hatch braid (the fashion in saltwater fly circles) for a fearsome amount of money but would I catch any more fish - I doubt it.

I have used lots of ’real’ Power Pro for various jobs over the years and that works fine too. I did once have a spool with a knot halfway down though….All I’m saying is that I’ve tried the cheap stuff and it works for me.

No disrespect but….a permit means more to me than any barbel !

sorry but I believe this is FAKE NEWS lol
If its in KG`s its for the EU market if its in LBS its for the USA market I dont believe Power Pro has fake versions anymore

often Ebay boxes are tatty tackle shops go out of business old stock etc
There was a seller that popped up selling 1500 yard spools for £35 !!!! about 4 years ago in 30LB I bought 2 but let a pal have one went to order another and sold out I emailed the seller and he replied saying he went on a USA holiday and bought back 6 spools all gone now

I used to do that - visit Bass Pro on the way back to Miami airport and stock up with PowerPro or Tufline XP.

Now I just buy the ‘fake’ stuff from China.

I used to do that - visit Bass Pro on the way back to Miami airport and stock up with PowerPro or Tufline XP.

Now I just buy the ‘fake’ stuff from China.
how do you think/know its fake ???

sorry but I believe this is FAKE NEWS lol
If its in KG`s its for the EU market if its in LBS its for the USA market I dont believe Power Pro has fake versions anymore

often Ebay boxes are tatty tackle shops go out of business old stock etc
There was a seller that popped up selling 1500 yard spools for £35 !!!! about 4 years ago in 30LB I bought 2 but let a pal have one went to order another and sold out I emailed the seller and he replied saying he went on a USA holiday and bought back 6 spools all gone now
sorry, but fake Powerpro is still out there in bulk - also 'ordinary' tackle shops never sold say the 1500yd spools as they were too expensive

check Ebay counterfeit forum and official feedback

sorry, but fake Powerpro is still out there in bulk - also 'ordinary' tackle shops never sold say the 1500yd spools as they were too expensive

check Ebay counterfeit forum and official feedback
I have contacted Power Pro in the USA and awaiting a reply
and tackle shops sell bulk spools (at a price lol)

Last edited:
Back