• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Posting rods

Pa

Parcelforce may carry parcels of this length but not for £13.95 as was quoted earlier

What I quoted earlier was quite obviously not for anything of 30kg and 2.5m in length... we're discussing fishing rods, not copper pipe. 😅

I sold or returned a few rods this summer (one was a 12ft two-piece Shimano barbel rod) and - like Ian, above - none of them has cost more than £13.95 fully insured with Parcelforce 48.

Regarding the post office, I came across this another day.

IMG_2951.png

I did use TNT at one time, they were good. Now it is just Parcelforce I use, up to 1.5mtrs it's about £9 with £100 insurance (can be increased for a price), over 1,5mtrs it rockets up to £30 odd . If using other couriers, make sure they cover fishing rods, many don't, Parcelforce do. Parcelforce will pick up from you and bring a label if you need.

I did use TNT at one time, they were good. Now it is just Parcelforce I use, up to 1.5mtrs it's about £9 with £100 insurance (can be increased for a price), over 1,5mtrs it rockets up to £30 odd . If using other couriers, make sure they cover fishing rods, many don't, Parcelforce do. Parcelforce will pick up from you and bring a label if you need.
About 3 years ago I bought on eBay a new 12' daiwa slr feeder from a private seller. Price included postage. Couldn't believe it but it was
delivered by the postie, wrapped in paper and pushed through the letterbox, undamaged too. Wish I could find the photo!

I would be very interested to learn how anyone has posted a rod with Parcelforce / Royal mail with a length greater than 1.5 ms for £13.95 . Did you book online , or take in to the post office ? If you took it direct to the PO and paid there , did they measure it ? I am not wishing to labour this point but clearly , as previous posts indicate, there is some divergence of experience !

I use my local Post Office for everything - even 12ft 2-piece rods. I'm not sure why people think the Post Office won't accept items of a certain length - they'll accept a rod of this length to be sent by Parcelforce. And the price, with insurance up to £200.00, is about £13.95. I've also sent canoe paddles of about 5'6" this way. Never had a problem.

I suspect it comes down to the individual at the PO counter. I have had 12' x 2 piece rods sent to me for 8/9£ via post office, but whenever I have tried it , at 2 different sub offices, told that they had to go via parcel force, and that's only at main post offices' but nearest is 8 miles away so went back to UPS.. Reading the above it does seem however that the PO have changed their max from 1400 to 1500 which then brings into play 12/13' 3 piece which is a big plus.

Just been to my local sub post office. Couldn't go first thing as the remortgage monies hadn't arrived so I couldn't buy a stamp. But the nice lady confirmed, yes 1500cm length and yes, parcel force.

Maybe the lesson here is to ask makers to produce three or even four-part rods. My fly rods - smallest 7'6" - were all four piece, so I'm not sure why coarse rods can't be. Tail wagging the dog, I must admit.

Maybe the lesson here is to ask makers to produce three or even four-part rods. My fly rods - smallest 7'6" - were all four piece, so I'm not sure why coarse rods can't be. Tail wagging the dog, I must admit.
4 piece coarse rods would be great.

Fold them in half for carrying made up to the river and into quarters for posting.

I have plenty of 4 piece fly rods (up to 14ft) and 6 piece salmon fly rods are the new must-have for air travel. They wok just fine (I own 3 and am looking for another)

I would be very interested to learn how anyone has posted a rod with Parcelforce / Royal mail with a length greater than 1.5 ms for £13.95 . Did you book online , or take in to the post office ? If you took it direct to the PO and paid there , did they measure it ? I am not wishing to labour this point but clearly , as previous posts indicate, there is some divergence of experience !
Mike,
Shop dependent. Holme on Spalding Moor said no, Goole said £30-odd and Market Weighton were £12 (or thereabouts) no measuring but weighed the tube. Sent rods twice in the last few months 👍

Back