• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Posting rods

It used to be upstoday for tubes over 150 cm but they seem to have doubled their prices recently

Hermes seem to be the cheapest option at @£20 for a 180cm parcel, most carriers have increased their long parcel charges significantly recently.

cheapest I can find nowadays for lengths over 150cm is still ups today at £17 odds next cheapest that comes up around this area is TNT booking it online through interparcel at £18 odds both are next day delivery however ups today will not accept insurance for damage to rods, only if they go walkabout, where as TNT will insure for both....

All rods I've bought for the last few years have been 4 piece. Mostly fly and spinning rods admittedly. Why the coarse rod market is still predominantly 2/3 piece escapes me.
Having said that I love the Drennan compact
Acolyte and similar system. Downside is that they can't be hidden in most vehicles.

All rods I've bought for the last few years have been 4 piece. Mostly fly and spinning rods admittedly. Why the coarse rod market is still predominantly 2/3 piece escapes me.
Having said that I love the Drennan compact
Acolyte and similar system. Downside is that they can't be hidden in most vehicles.
Dead spots Paul?

Dead spots Paul?
Yeah, weird...when I asked where I could buy spigots to convert a 13ft 3-piece float rod into a 2-piece I was told "Nooooo, you'll ruin the rod. You'll have dead/flat spots all over the place". This advice I eventually ignored. I stuck an old piece of fibreglass in, and the job'n the rod's a good 'un. All my rods are now 2-piece, and very easy to transport made up.

I've just sent 2 rods in 1 6' long tube fully insured for £200 and collected from my home by UPS for £27. There are some cheaper but not as reliable or trustworthy.
Royal mail / Parcelforce has a limit of 1,5m or if you pay extra up to 2.5m but you need it packaging bomb proof along with an attendant Rottweiler to stop it going missing en route, with insurance it would probably be just as much to send it by them and you have the inconvenience of taking it to a depot.

I haven’t posted a rod for a while, but in the past when selling 2 piece 12’ rods on ebay, I always used Parcel Force 48 hour, door to door service and never had any issues.

Back