• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Positioning rod feeder fishing.

Steve Brand

This has probably been asked before so forgive me if it has but what is the best way to position the rod when feeder or ledgering on a river?
I have pretty much always fished my rod pointing slightly upstream just enough so I have an unrestricted view of the tip.
Recently I read online that It Is better to point the rod downstream for better bite indication, having tried the pointing downstream method I have caught fish but the jury is out as to whether or not there is any advantage any views?

Steve B

for me it depends a bit on conditions and where i am fishing, also i keep my rods tips very low whenever possible but it seems most anglers have them beach caster style.

By pointing the rod slightly downstream works better for me, and if the bites are finniky I hold the rod level with the butt in my lap. :)

Thin end pointing to the wet stuff

Jeff, as you are normally so welcoming and helpful, I assume your post was intended for another favourite website of yours. I do hope you haven't posted something on that site about how you enjoy watching your rod pointing skywards.

Jeff, as you are normally so welcoming and helpful, I assume your post was intended for another favourite website of yours. I do hope you haven't posted something on that site about how you enjoy watching your rod pointing skywards.

Don't turn tongue in cheek humour into vulgarity.

And despite a warning the creature still continues. ...:eek:

Jeff, you seem quite keen to dish the banter out and poke fun but seem much less happy on the receiving end. I find this says an enormous amount about a person's character (or lack off).

And I didn't realise you had warned me which has left me wondering quite what will happen in the event of my crime being repeated.

I will try and sit with the rod across my lap as I try to have a hand on the rod most of the time.
Seeing the tip is good but also easy to feel most bites if holding rod/line allowing my eyes to relax somewhat.
Fishing far bank, straight out or upstream at a range of say 60-90 ft with steady flow I will have a decent to large loop in the line with rod generally pointing at where line exits the water.
If downstream fishing,rare for me,point rod at feeder.

Keeping rod as low as I can,but keep line out of flow in order to help keep feeder in position thus also allows comfortable,swift, decent contact through the loop upon "strike".

Need to reel like mad to make direct contact upon hook up.
Bankside trees and bushes will also dictate positioning.

I do also sometimes wonder however if I have it sussed and hope this thread continues.

For standard fishing directly in your normal eyeline according to your seated position.

If opposite bankside items lead to difficult view lift up or drop the tip.

I would have thought that this would depend on the size, type and condition of the river being fished. I am a small river angler for the vast majority of the time, so have the luxury of having the rod stuck straight out in front, and on the same plane as the river, sometimes even pointing slightly down towards the river surface.

However, I would need to adjust that in time of floods, and I would think that most big river anglers, fishing rivers such as the lower Severn, would need to adopt the 'beach caster' style almost as a matter of course.

Cheers, Dave.

I would have thought that this would depend on the size, type and condition of the river being fished. I am a small river angler for the vast majority of the time, so have the luxury of having the rod stuck straight out in front, and on the same plane as the river, sometimes even pointing slightly down towards the river surface.

However, I would need to adjust that in time of floods, and I would think that most big river anglers, fishing rivers such as the lower Severn, would need to adopt the 'beach caster' style almost as a matter of course.

Cheers, Dave.

As you say Dave it depends on the river you are fishing ? Would you fish the Tidal Trent / Lower Severn in the same way as you would the Teme or any small river ? I don't think so ?

Back