• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Portable Radio

Andy Millichamp

No, this isn't a wind-up! ;)

I have a small radio for listening to quietly when I'm fishing and the footie's on. But it's rubbish, I can only get reception when I'm standing on one hand, with the radio clasped between my third and fourth toes and whistling Rule Britannia. Anything else and I just get static.

Radios vary and I really don't want to chuck another one in the bin, so can anyone recommend something that is reasonably compact, doesn't eat batteries and most importantly picks up a few stations more often that not? (DAB not necessary)

Andy. I have an unwanted gift wind up radio/torch you can try on 10th and have for free if any good. I'll bring it along. No batteries to worry about.

This is not a wind up either.
I find that by putting a bank stick in the ground and then placing the extendable aerial from my radio into the screw hole I get great reception, It also positions the radio near my ear so I can reduce the volume.
For short sessions I use the radio on my phone through ear buds, one in and one dangling keeps me in touch with my surroundings, It does run the battery on your phone down but hey, life's all a compromise isn't it........

Radios are fine if used with personal ear phones, but when played with out their use it is inconsiderate, anti social, and selfish. Most of us go to the river for the peace and quiet and to wind down, but some ones portable radio, even with the volume down, is highly anoying. It is as bad as some one elses smoke drifting past when you are eating, now fortunately a thing of the past.

Colin I be lost with out my radio . Dont have ear phones but keep volume down very low so ONLY I can hear. Yes i like the peace and quiet but on a hard winter day on a river and bites hard to come I like to hear the football matches . Could think of a lot worse thing then that on the river banks

This is not a wind up either.
I find that by putting a bank stick in the ground and then placing the extendable aerial from my radio into the screw hole I get great reception, It also positions the radio near my ear so I can reduce the volume.
For short sessions I use the radio on my phone through ear buds, one in and one dangling keeps me in touch with my surroundings, It does run the battery on your phone down but hey, life's all a compromise isn't it........
Ingenious idea about the bank stick, I must try that. Presumably you mean with the radio upside down?

Radios are fine if used with personal ear phones, but when played with out their use it is inconsiderate, anti social, and selfish. Most of us go to the river for the peace and quiet and to wind down, but some ones portable radio, even with the volume down, is highly anoying. It is as bad as some one elses smoke drifting past when you are eating, now fortunately a thing of the past.
Colin, I agree that a radio can be very annoying. But I would argue that if you can hear your neighbour's radio, then he's got it on too loud. There have been plenty of occasions when I have fished next to a fellow angler for hours and not known he has a radio until I've walked past or joined him for a chat. You have to be sensible about where you put it though. Sticking it high up on the bank behind you isn't going to be helpful, but if it's slotted in your tackle bag right next to you, facing up at you, the low volume shouldn't carry anywhere near as far as the next swim.

Ingenious idea about the bank stick, I must try that. Presumably you mean with the radio upside down?

The aerial on mine folds but if not the thing will still work upside down.

Colin, if you can hear your neighbours radio then he has it too loud or you are sitting too close.....Give me some space........:p

Get a cheap lightweight job off eBay made by Sony or someone decent. The less on them the more reliable.

I'd go mad without footy coverage and a bit of radio 4. Vol low of course. Need to keep up with world affairs as time slips gently by without a hint of a fish!

I'm with you Haydn... My missus bought me a Pure Talk Sport...It's just a bit bigger than a mobile phone, has a built in re-chargeable battery which lasts for at least 3 good sessions, and has a crystal clear reception.
I snapped the ariel off whilst packing up, back last year, I emailed Pure, who are based in Watford, and they posted me a replacement the next day free of charge. Highly recommended.
Paul

I bought a Pure Move a couple of days ago off ebay, there is a seller doing them refurbished by the manufacturer for £40..........

Thanks for the replies, seems like Pure get a few votes. They look impressive but not cheap. I had a look on Ebay, there are a couple of guys selling refurbed Pure Moves, but they are all around £49 inc. postage. Probably more than I want to spend. Those that use one, how have you found the reception when on river banks? I've heard differing opinions on DAB reception compared to FM. The Severn Valley can be challenging for reception anyway in certain areas.

I've got a wind up jobby that is brilliant. I use it on 'battery' power and they last for absolutely ages. On 'wind up' power it only lasts about 20 minutes and always fades when a goal is about to be scored :rolleyes:

Hmmm...yeees...I can see were that would be a bit of a wind up Dave...:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I have one of these,

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/por-world-band-receivers/icf-sw12

well actually the Mk1 version which is excellent and has lasted years and years, used for fishing and travelling UK and abroad. A bit dear but good sound, very solid build, and uses up hardly any space. This will deliver the Radio 4 shipping report wherever you are so sleep is gauranteed.

DAB for me seems hit and miss with coverage and quality.

Back