• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pollution of The Thames

"On Wednesday last week Thames Water confirmed there had been seven 'accidental' sewage leakages in the Thames in the last six months."

Indeed, sounds beyond the "accidental" tag and more like "negligent" in my humble opinion.

Stephen

Stephen, if it were negligence then at least we could console ourselves with the misguided belief that lessons might have been learnt and things may improve. However I believe it just comes down to pure economics; it's a whole lot cheaper to just pay the fines.

Last edited:
Paul you are spot on! pure economics! pollute the river get a paltry fine if that, or process the stuff and pay large amounts to do it properly! number one reason why utilities should not be privatized!, i have always believed that the water companies are the worst polluters of waterways in the country with thames water being right up near the top of the list!

Ian, it is probably more with an utter sense of defeat. I believe Thames Water is now owned by a Chinese company along with most of the water companies in the UK being under foreign ownership. Profits are put well ahead of enviromental considerations or customer satisfaction.
As has been stated the fines are insulting and until rules or laws are put in place whereby these companies can be stripped of ownership or fined heavily the things will carry on as they are. I doubt this sort of thing would be allowed in other countries but no doubt our political elite are all rather cosy with these companies and lets face it most regulatory bodies in this country, irrespective, of the industry are a complete waste of the taxpayers money. The FSA finally managed to prove a case against three banks for fixing LIBOR rates, fraud on a monumental scale which had a massive impact on the global economy. Not one person has been jailed yet a guy in my home town got 6 years for doing a Reggy Perrin to swindle his mortgage company ( I in no way condone his actions, merely an example of the disparity).
This pollution is just a further sad example of our leaders not leading and putting profits ahead of everything.

Back