• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pollution of the River Crane

I live across the road from the Crane and can confirm everything has been wiped out. I've caught a few Barbel from there to 8lb before - these were stocked by the EA in 2000 so that's 11 years growth wiped out. Chub to over 7lb in there, Carp to over 20lb, along with most other species - all gone.

anyone have any idea what was killed ?
heard there was a fair head of chub
any Barbs ?
M

i'm sure the EA will restock with fry, that will take 10 years to get to a size worth catching...:confused:

i'm sure the EA will restock with fry, that will take 10 years to get to a size worth catching...:confused:
Why would they only stock with fry?

Thames Water will be paying for the restocking as they have acknowledged.

Clubs are hopefully taking up the issue of compensation for losses with Fish legal. Once an impact assessment is done (and paid for) I would assume that clubs with rights on the river would want to see the river re stocked with brood stock fish rather than fry, although obviously fry are a useful addition to any re stocking. I would certainly hope that no body is going to let Thames Water of that lightly, or do you have some inside information?

Even after Thames Water have paid out to put things right (and passed the cost on to the consumer) it still leaves the executives of the company unpunished. Prison terms are the only way to prevent these things happening. Cash to put things right isn't good enough.

a week or two back was having a look over the meadway bridge
and there was a dead mitten crab on the bottom
looked "fresh"
m

What is required is personal prosecution of executives

It's really not good enough is it? to create a disaster and carry on like it was just a bad day at the office. Years of work and care gone. Long live the river Crane.

Back