• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Poachers!

Peter Littleworth

Friend and I, fishing a Test salmon beat yesterday, friend,fishing just up from me, heard a couple talking, turned round and spotted two people walking down river, they saw him and turned into the undergrowth, reappearing on the track running alongside the river, one tried to hide, but his white shirt was a bit of a giveaway, and they just walked on. Quick call to the keeper, and he was on the case. A succsessful hunt later, the keeper came back, complete with 4 rods, and assorted tackle, and a rod licence, no surprise, a polish name from Southall!
Not a unique event undoubtedly, but what a cheek! There is no where these people won,t target, they just don,t give a damm!!
Peter

Terrible. I can remember back in the mid 1980s - when I had a rod on each of three at the time very fine and highly desirable chalkstream fisheries in addition to many coarse-club tickets, the white, English, West London-born couple who were sharing my home with me near Windsor, the man among them one of the finest coarse-fishers I have ever known - how I used to see said couple disappear on many a late spring and summer's Friday evening for a weekend "out West".

Imagine my chagrin when they'd arrive back on a Sunday evening with the front boot of their Volkswagen Beetle loaded with "spotties", which were promptly decanted into my freezer.

"Where did you have them, *****...?"

"The Test, mate. Do you know Stockbridge...? Near there. Had a few from the Itchen over Winchester way, too. Easy meat. Nice rivers down there. Saw some decent roach in one bit...."

I never heard those words, never saw all those spotties, let alone ate them.

There is much anecdotal stuff on various sites about eastern european fishing illegally, but when you come across it first-hand it's a little disconcerting. I fished a club match on our river and on the way home came across a Lithuanian registered car, parked on the side of the road with two men getting gear out of the back. This is not an access point to the river (ironically it wasn't even our side!) so I was immediately suspicious, so much so that I turned the car around and pulled up to confront them. I tried to explain that they couldn't just wander onto any stretch of river in this country with their spinning rods and fish. Their mastery of spoken English was rather limited but one of them did produce a current EA licence. As I was dealing with the matter another of our members clocked for the rods (he hadn't recognised my vehicle) and he too pulled up to see what was going on. They were soon on their way, but no doubt they'll be trying somewhere else.

It is'nt just east europeans chaps that have this attitude of fishing where they please. I know you'll find alot of our youngsters, just fancy a night out drinking, and then fishing on the river banks if they are capable. I remember doing the same as a teenager on a free stretch. However I knew I wouldn't dream of doing this on a private fishery, yet a good number of youths today wouldn't think twice.....I know..and our bailiffs have moved them on.

It is'nt just east europeans chaps that have this attitude of fishing where they please. I know you'll find alot of our youngsters, just fancy a night out drinking, and then fishing on the river banks if they are capable. I remember doing the same as a teenager on a free stretch. However I knew I wouldn't dream of doing this on a private fishery, yet a good number of youths today wouldn't think twice.....I know..and our bailiffs have moved them on.

Difference is Paul, when 'our youngsters' or older poachers for that matter, catch they generally release their catch, being just after sport as we are, unless the fish are killed by incompetant handling, but many that i've come across are extremly competant it would seem, and i've caught them recovering a Barbel in the net, with a large well padded unhooking mat to hand, these type always plead ignorance and in some cases that may be the case, but most i feel just don't want to cough up for a ticket.

However the more sinister side of these EE poachers, is that in general as well as being after a days sport, they kill what they catch for the pot, regardless of the size of the fish and generally whatever species, though Pike seem to be the favorite prey for them.
In most areas of the country there are generally very few of them, but others particularly near the larger towns and cities fish populations are getting hammered by these low lifes, and before people say i'm going to far saying that, i'll take you for a walk where many live and open your eyes a bit.
Most by now know they are breaking the laws of this country too, the Police don't want too know, the EA haven't got the man power to deal with the problem effectively, and the government just ignores the issue, having far bigger fish to fry than those the EE's take. :mad: :mad: :mad:
The punishment for them as a foreign national when convicted of any crime should be immediate deportation. The message might then go out much clearer.

Ian.

i still cannot believe what i saw in 2005, two EE'S were catching small roach, dace and other fry from the shallows, in a bucket and transferring them to a large water tank in a back of a van, that got stopped very soon.
fish soup anyone.

Dare I ask this; am I the only indigenous white Brit that has knowingly fished without an invite then? :eek:- nah not really embarrassed, always had a smile on my face thus::)

In me defence m'lud, I did so in a responsible fashion, returning all fish unharmed....

Dare I ask this; am I the only indigenous white Brit that has knowingly fished without an invite then? :eek:- nah not really embarrassed, always had a smile on my face thus::)

In me defence m'lud, I did so in a responsible fashion, returning all fish unharmed....

i think its "guesting" if your white/british CG. i reckon i owe bridgnorth town council about 300 quid in day tickets. oh well if the baliff ain't out and about in the evenings :D

I'l hold my hands up Colin and say that I'v wandered over boundaries on the odd occasion:eek:

im no expert on river populations but here on the severn the roach are (so i've read/told) in decline and the barbel seem to be doing well. surely that means people taking the roach for live/dead baits is worse than someone taking a barbel for the pot ?

My local club has loads of day ticket water on the Severn which rarely if ever sees a bailiff. I could probably fish it for the rest of my life without being ticketed, however, I feel it's important to support my local club so buy the ticket every year without fail.

Back