• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Please help !!!

Max Towner

Hello everyone please help ..I’m new from Essex I’m max hello every one I’ve fished fishers green all my life what a river held the record for many years 10 years ago 15 15 Amazing .. due to work commitments and having 5 kids .. I no lol .. never got bk there till late this season had a 16 10 beat my pb couldn’t be leave it .. chub 7 . 12 but now I’m moving to sandy for familie reasons I’m turnt upside down please can some one give me some info we’re I need to be thank you
BC697EBC-2C2D-4316-8700-2ACDC3652140.jpeg
6BDE8764-0A39-4A15-8EBA-67A62E068B12.jpg
9FD058E8-F75A-4A54-80DF-C4F05E18B732.jpg
8A568870-4E04-481D-BB78-7AC8FA1715E4.jpeg

Last edited:
You are not really that far from the Lea when you compare it to the other options.

Closest to Sandy, Ivel and Gt Ouse have barbel but very hard work although you might enjoy the challenge. Next closest. Nene not too far north but limited stretches with barbel, my home water if you need to know more. Trent a bit further north but plenty of options close to the A1 around Newark.

the upper lea on the verulam ticket near Wheathampsted is the best bet if you want easier fishing. The short walk at Marford is very popular but they have a couple of quieter stretches that still have a decent amount of fish in them. They do a winter season ticket that starts in November I think but they’re closed to new members at the moment so I don’t know if they’re offering it this season

as John said above the great Ouse and the ivel are closeish, a few Barbel are coming out of the great Ouse to People who have put in the sort of work you might not be able to :)

The Ivel at Biggleswade does still have a few Barbel but the big ones seem to have been Ottered. Fantastic Chub, silverfish and Perch to be had and plenty of Pike.

the upper lea on the verulam ticket near Wheathampsted is the best bet if you want easier fishing. The short walk at Marford is very popular but they have a couple of quieter stretches that still have a decent amount of fish in them. They do a winter season ticket that starts in November I think but they’re closed to new members at the moment so I don’t know if they’re offering it this season

as John said above the great Ouse and the ivel are closeish, a few Barbel are coming out of the great Ouse to People who have put in the sort of work you might not be able to :)
Veralum membership closed this year

Thank you all so much I love the lea but fancy a change as moving closer to different rivers love a challenge I have a lot more time now as life’s moved forward .. how far up the Trent do I need to be ... and is it only around the ivel they realised otters or are the on the tent ... Lea valley don’t seem to be bothered buy otters iv never seen one anyway ... now they have made lea valley a consortium it’s a different place two many clubs on one of the best rivers no disrespect to anglers just seems crowded there these days a lot of nature cut back shame ... thank you all best of luck

Verulam Ac New Member Memberships.
New memberships will continue as of 1st November but please convey current fishery restrictions ie. Smallford, Kempston, to anyone who may be thinking of joining.

Thanks Dave. I’m thinking about rejoining, what are the restrictions?

I drove past smallford a while ago and saw the sign saying it was shut, but I noticed the sign was gone recently

Back