• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Plastic Feeders

I find the galv too soft on its own. Bends far too easily in 0.8 gage I get. Stainless however is loads better. You could use that uncoated with total confidence it’s gonna stay straight
If you fold over the last line of squares at each end, overlap the sides by 3 or 4 squares and leave the feeder intact, i.e. don't cut a recess for the lead, they are strong enough. Anything stronger is an unnecesary expense IMO.

If you fold over the last line of squares at each end, overlap the sides by 3 or 4 squares and leave the feeder intact, i.e. don't cut a recess for the lead, they are strong enough. Anything stronger is an unnecesary expense IMO.
It doesn’t make any odds doing that for me because I have the complete joint encased in lead anyway so this part is strong. It’s the general feeder area not in lead is too soft imo unless coated or stainless.
I think you must use a thicker gage than me if you find it substantial.

I like the staples idea Keith. Prefer a more open mesh though. Less resistance means less lead required.
I like to cater for both
Open mesh is good like you say less resistance but sometimes you don’t want the bait washed out in seconds and to remain in the feeder over time. Smaller mesh is much better in this case

Just done some small cages for Paul and his liquidised bread fishing.
5351C63D-C44A-4E2E-B5E9-8AC76B8CFB41.jpeg
82195BFF-6C29-4640-A5D9-783B56491AE0.jpeg
ED823BE3-C933-44FB-8204-54F3ED07D7DE.jpeg

I like to cater for both
Open mesh is good like you say less resistance but sometimes you don’t want the bait washed out in seconds and to remain in the feeder over time. Smaller mesh is much better in this case
I make the groundbait stickier using the natural starch in maize for those situations. That way I don't need two types of feeder.

I didn't say that the galvanised feeders were substantial. But, they are strong enough for the purpose and that is all that matters for my needs. The reinforcing of the folded ends and the overlap makes them rigid enough. Even the BBQ grill mesh ones, which aren't as rigid do the job well. I had the same one on for over 6 hours the other day and it shows no signs of use. Given that it cost me less than 30p I reckon that is a bargain.

I checked the galvanised mesh and it is 0.8 or thereabouts.

American snap swivels with the flat plate that can be nipped up i have found useful on the tidal trent attached to the feeder swivel various sizes depending on what size feeder is required .

Back