• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Placed to stay / river Wye

Kevin Webb

Hi all
Could anyone recommend suitable places to stay for barbel fishing on the river Wye . Ideally with fishing on site but not a must have .
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Have checked out places on various websites but would be good to hear from members and not rely on trip advisor!
Many thanks

Hi Kevin,

Did you have a look on this page of BFW? I'm sure members will have used some of these:

Cheers,

Andy

Red Lion Bredwardine , a certain faded charm but the rooms were comfortable and the food hearty , river is close at hand and you can drive to your swim if its not too muddy or flooded and the staff are used to catering for anglers

Flanesford priory is good but a bit pricey on your own but is surrounded by great fishing and a nice nearby pub that serves great food and lovely beer. As Mike suggests the Red Lion at Bredwardine but I haven't been there for years. When I first started going to the Wye I rented a cottage for a week and fished day ticket stretches. If you plan it right you can have a great time. Take your camera the scenery is magnificent

Inn on the Wye by Kerne Bridge is worth a look, you've got a mile or so of day ticket water at Bishopswood directly opposite. You're also close to other day ticket water.

Another vote for the Inn on the Wye - the prices have shot up this year though! Food is really good there as well.

Red Lion Bredwardine , a certain faded charm but the rooms were comfortable and the food hearty , river is close at hand and you can drive to your swim if its not too muddy or flooded and the staff are used to catering for anglers
Fished there years ago.Faded charm a great description of the rooms. Stunning scenery but the weather was against us that trip.
Certainly worth consider again. Thanks Mike 👍

Flanesford priory is good but a bit pricey on your own but is surrounded by great fishing and a nice nearby pub that serves great food and lovely beer. As Mike suggests the Red Lion at Bredwardine but I haven't been there for years. When I first started going to the Wye I rented a cottage for a week and fished day ticket stretches. If you plan it right you can have a great time. Take your camera the scenery is magnificent
Thanks Nick. Will keep checking websites for decent accommodation.

I have stayed at the Inn on the Wye and the bungalows at the back are comfortable enough for a fishing trip and as they are twin bedded can be shared with a fishing partner.
I have also used the Premier Inn at Ross on Wye which is conveniently situated right at the end of the M50. The brekkie is OK and its all you can eat at a set price so good for setting you up for needing minimal food during the day. Their prices vary depending on how long in advance you book but beware of their tracking system that puts the prices up if you keep looking on a regular basis.
There is a Wetherspoons in town for reasonably price food and drink and the usual selection of supermarkets (ALDI, Morrisons, Sainsburys) for anything else you need.

White Lion in Ross faily basic worth looking at.

The Old Mill at Horewithy great value, have a house at the back.
The last two times I came up to fish with you I stayed at the Old Mill first time (as recommended by you 👍) and it was very good, lovely people who run it and very accommodating, lovely breakfast and did packed lunch as well (nice pub across the road), 2nd time we just stayed in the Premier Inn at Ross, basic but cheap and a very hearty breakfast, thanks G 👍

I have stayed at the Inn on the Wye and the bungalows at the back are comfortable enough for a fishing trip and as they are twin bedded can be shared with a fishing partner.
I have also used the Premier Inn at Ross on Wye which is conveniently situated right at the end of the M50. The brekkie is OK and its all you can eat at a set price so good for setting you up for needing minimal food during the day. Their prices vary depending on how long in advance you book but beware of their tracking system that puts the prices up if you keep looking on a regular basis.
There is a Wetherspoons in town for reasonably price food and drink and the usual selection of supermarkets (ALDI, Morrisons, Sainsburys) for anything else you need.
Thanks John. Didn’t know about the tracking system.

Back