• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Piling the bait in

There really is no need. You can catch 20 fish on the middle Severn on the right day (if u want) with a 2kg bag of crushed pellet but what does that prove ? Its not about how many, its about enjoying the experience,just being there.the good days come and go but that's what its all about (imo).

Tight lines guys.

Last summer a chap next to me piled it in like I have never seen before. Pellet, corn, hemp, spod after spod.

Spodding? I'd have fished 60yds downstream over his bait!

Weeellllllll, I've used a spod once or twice to get a bed of bait into a far bank slack (or slow current) next to overhanging trees, where it's just too far to cast a large heavy baitdropper and there's no access to the opposite bank. Or for pre-baiting the same. Always helpful to know what the depth is (and the current) and cast upstream enough to get the bait lying where you want it. Easy to clip up a spod and be accurate and I don't always want big balls of groundbait out of choice.

Right tools for the job and all that?

Different matter on bigger, deeper rivers of course.

Back