• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Piling the bait in

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
During my short session on Monday I noticed another angler on the Loddon
(a small river)feed with about 5kg pellets and a kilo of boiles prior to fishing.

I asked him if he was on a long session, but he said he only has a few hours.

Further chatting revealed he was following advice from a couple of anglers that are well known to "Pile it in". He also said it was advice given during this cold spell.

I suggested they also represent bait companies and get paid for it.

My own views are that particle feed can sometimes bring the fish on for a short time, maggots/hemp etc but loading a swim like that can be bad news, especially for a short session. I also believe that it really affects others results for days sometimes.

I accept that for large rivers, with feeding fish it might be the done thing.

Now am I missing a trick here? Maybe my normal approach is old fashioned?

Graham

Last edited:
Graham,

You, old fashioned, how could you think such a thing..........I most certainly would not put much bait in at the moment, even particles/maggots...............you are probably right about the guy getting advise from people with other motives. I honestly believe that the decline in our angling is contributed to by people piling bait in, have seen it many times, even just a couple of handfuls of boilies or even worse, pellets, on some stretches of the Kennet you could have 4 or 5 different people fish the same swim during a day and if each puts just a couple of handfuls of bait in it would add up.........

I am firmly in your camp Graham, during the recent cold spell I had 4 Barbel one afternoon, I fed between a quarter and half a pint of maggots.

I bailiff 4 lakes close to my home, the moment the ice had disappeared the Pond Piggers were filing in kilo after Kilo of boilies.

When I suggested that the bait companies were encouraging this sort of thing for monetary purposes, I was told that the bait they were using was "Specially produced for high volume usage in cold weather" and they used only "High quality ingredients"!

When I related my story about the Barbel on maggots they gave me a knowing smile and said “Oh yeah mate but rivers are differentâ€!!

I was amazed that they really were that gullible!!

I am with you on this one Mr. E.
During these colder water conditions its just the odd tiny piece of paste that is being fed as loosefeed with a small paste wrapped boilie on the hair, 5k of pellets plus boilies thats giving the fish a lot of choice of which bait to pick up, must be lowering your chance of a pick up and anyone else's fishing in the vicinity.........Dont think that i would use that much bait during the summer....

I would never dream of using that amount of bait in the summer let alone the winter for me its paste rapped around the lead with a tiny pva bag of 8 to 10 pellets or maggots. Any at my age i could not carry 5 kilos of bait

Alan ;)

There really are some plonkers about, why on earth would you think it sensible to 'pile it in' in these current cold conditions.

D.

I auppose hush puppies and a trilby could be construed as a tad old fashioned Graham, but each to their own mate you wear what you like !! :cool:

Agree on the bait, but if if it's the same old rubbish crooky uses you'll be OK because the fish wont go near it. :D

Ian.

Grant, what are you doing on this thread, get back on the "When i'm 65" thread where you belong!!!

Not sure I'd do it on a small river in these conditions, however....

....have seen this "method" used to good effect on a big river in the past - simply because it was different to everyone elses approach?

Go steady

Paul

Surely the only possible reason to "Pile it In" would be to KEEP a large shoal of fish feeding when they might be having it during the summer months ??????
Dave

Hmm, on sunday morning after blanking all night on the Loddon I decided to really go for it baitwise as I had nothing to lose. So I attached a small pva bag of pellets to go along with the single hookbait I'd been using all night.

It's unbelievable to hear that Graham. I think it will undoubtably mean any fish that do eventually feed on that bait won't bother feeding again for a week maybe?

A fool and his money are easily parted. I guess the resultant blank will have persuaded him that not enough bait was used. Piling in the bait when it's like this is silly, much better to be sat in front of the fire.

Nick C

I will stick my neck out a little further for a change and say I agree with most on the above. A few of you have mentioned that you would not use this amount in summer ,well from my observations I've seen decent shoals of fish(10 to 20 approx) hoover up that amount in no time at all on rivers great and small. Never say never , different applications for different situations imo.

On a big river, with loads of fish , in summer, that and more sometimes, but not just chucked in, fed through the course of a day, but only with a little and often type approach. In really cold water, on a small river, that lot would feed everything for weeks, time to fish elsewhere!!!!!
Puddle pig chasers no doubt!!!!!!!!!!! Prats.
peter

Old foxy should be ok to pile it in then Steve:eek:

It's a very rare occurence for me to pile the bait in in any situation. There have undoubtedly been times when I'd have loved to but finance dictates otherwise. Luckily, many of the places I fish simply don't respond to piling in no matter what time of year.:)

Agree with all the above , would never pile it in all in one go over the winter months BUT... i do find the fish very often respond to a large amount of bait put in over many days

I will stick my neck out a little further for a change and say I agree with most on the above. A few of you have mentioned that you would not use this amount in summer ,well from my observations I've seen decent shoals of fish(10 to 20 approx) hoover up that amount in no time at all on rivers great and small. Never say never , different applications for different situations imo.

Rob , my understanding was that putting in freebies , groundbaiting ,call it what you will, was to attract fish to your swim , and thence to your bait . Piled in bait may be hoovered up , but does this approach actually lead to the fish taking your bait ? Well it might if they hoover it up with the rest of the food , but on the other hand they might get full up and stop feeding ,perhaps for a long time therefore a bit of a pointless exercise , unless we are just trying to make the fish fatter ! The old adage of it's easy to put in put impossible to take out is always worth bearing in mind . To my way of thinking its all about attracting fish not satiating there appetite . P.S I also come from Yorkshire therefore being tight is second nature

Back