• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

pigeon conditioner can it be frozen ?

Alex Constantinou

Are you mixing it with any other bait or just using it as it is and fishing over the top?
It depends on what I’m targeting/venue etc.

For barbel specifically I tend to add it to a method mix and wrap it around the lead or ball it in if the situation permits. I’ll also add a light scattering of my hookbait choice in the wider area. Alternatively if I’m in a tight swim and want a bed of bait down then I’ll use a bait dropper, omit the groundbait and add hookbaits to the mix.

With regards to carp fishing I’ll spod/spomb/spoon it out depending on swim choice and venue. I don’t subscribe to the notion that bait has to be overly flavoured for it to be effective so less is more in my very humble opinion.

I should add that for the most part I’m fishing canals, small rivers or the upper Trent. So my approach may be limited on your choice of venue.

Robert West

Senior Member & Supporter
I get mine from mole country stores bucktons pigeon conditioner £15.49 there also do sacks of cut maize flaked maize whole maize in 20kg sacks

Tony Stone

Ill have a look in my local farm shop when I pick up the dogs food tomorrow and see if they have any, failing that its £26 on Amazon

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter

Tony Stone

Still only £25 though which should last me a while. £25 would normally only get me a packet of hooks with £23 going on the diesel to get me there!!!

Huanzhou Zhu

Do you mix it with anything or use it on its own?

I fish the Thames alot, which has hardly any flow most of the year, im thinking I could use it to create a bed of small items and mix some pellets in too.
I wouldn't add pellets in it when fishing the Thames, you will soon have a bed of crayfish if you do that.

Tony Stone

ok thanks, Ill give the particles a run on their own before I start tweaking my mix :)