• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

pigeon conditioner can it be frozen ?

I prepare mine and freeze it dean no problem. Put it in cool box (add flavours at this point if required) cover with boiling water 1” or so put lid on the box leave over night bag and freeze or just use it 👍

If you're using it just as feed then freezing it ain't a problem, but freezing does break it down a bit (because of its water content). But that's only a problem if you're going to use it on the hair/hook. For the hook I tend to undercook some of mine (soak, bring to boil, and leave to cool)
N.b... if it breaks down too much it makes a bostin' meal anyway :p

I used to superglue a ball of the (dry) particles together to form/make a hookbait.
Best one was standard bird seed mix (eg Trill) whilst hemp was v disappointing.

Is this any good for Barbel? I have used it for carp previously years ago, but never considered using it for barbel

Do you mix it with anything or use it on its own?

I fish the Thames alot, which has hardly any flow most of the year, im thinking I could use it to create a bed of small items and mix some pellets in too.

Is this any good for Barbel? I have used it for carp previously years ago, but never considered using it for barbel
I hope so cos I bought a sack of it for that! Used it successfully for carp- I usually soak it for a couple of days in water-it takes in quite a lot. Then I microwave it in batches of two pints at a time for ten minutes. After it cools I bag it and vacuum seal it before freezing.

This will be interpreted as a silly question, but why pigeon conditioner? It seems to be designed foor a warm blooded species that attains its maximum weight and size in a few weeks. Not a cold blooded creature that only reaches maximum size after a decade or more. And that is not considering the maximum grain size a pigeon is able to digest compared to a carp or barbel.

I know that fish will eat grains and I get the multi size and colour aspect regards possible preoccupation issues. But I don't see why a simple mix of milled maize and hemp seeds will not work better.

Largely because it's a cheap way to buy a large quantity of mixed particles. You answer most of your query yourself, multi size and colour etc.
Lots of very successful baits weren't designed for fish consumption, spam for one
I'm sure your right about maize and hemp mix being just as effective but probably more expensive depending on how much hemp you put in.

I use around 4:1 ground maize : hemp usually. I know that barbel and carp love both these grains and I haven't had any issues with preoccupation. I really don't see what red dari and buckwheat seeds add to the attraction.

I do think that the success of many pigeon conditioners comes from the trigger effect of the aniseed scent that is added. Much like Robin Red is or was when used in some similar products. But you can add that to any seed mix. I used to flavour all my hemp with aniseed from the health food store back in the 70's.

I normally use bucktons as that’s what’s normally in stock but have used others in the past. The pet shop by me sells it by the kilo, I’m not entirely sure which brand that is but I can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference between them.

Are you mixing it with any other bait or just using it as it is and fishing over the top?

My most successful red letter day last year on the nene was achieved by using it as both feed and on the hair
Bucktons economy mix does the trick. It freezes spot on and you get a lovely gloopy mix as the seeds release all their sugars during boiling.
Soak it in cold water for a good 2 days to get the mix well and truly swollen and simmer it off for a good hour and it comes out absolutely perfect.
No need to add anything to it regarding flavour but I would suggest definitely introducing it via a dropper/spopper to ensure it all ends up on the bottom as the mix is all different shapes and sizes and impossible to predict where it will end up if it’s applied on the surface.
It’s definitely got pulling power for barbel.

Personally I prefer natural hemp! Not saying it’s better or worse it’s just my favorite particle to use and it’s given me the most consistency in my results

Back