• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

Hi Paul,

Hi Paul, yes at 11.30 am.

As far as I can tell the wierpool is free fishing, but just downstream it belongs to Oxmead Buxton Lamas AC , who also have a stretch upstream of the mill from the first field , which gives about 80 yards of available free river before you reach the private stretch . Upstream the banks are very overgrown with reed and actually getting to the waterside would be “interesting “

I am told that Barbel up to about 16 lbs have been taken from above the mill on the private stretch , but when I walked it this morning there is zero indication that it is fished at all, again bankside vegitation and cabbages are in abundance, having said that it looks a fantastic stretch with so much potential for a small river .

David
Hi David,
I'm a member of the Oxnead Club. Don't believe all you hear about barbel in that stretch of the Upper Bure. I regularly walk/ fish the public section upstream from Horstead Mill right through to Brampton.
I see more otters than barbel!
Nice chub and lovely trout in the river, but few (if any) barbel. Many years ago there were large bream as well but they're mostly gone.
I love walking, birding and fishing, so that section of river ticks those boxes for me.

Hi David,
I'm a member of the Oxnead Club. Don't believe all you hear about barbel in that stretch of the Upper Bure. I regularly walk/ fish the public section upstream from Horstead Mill right through to Brampton.
I see more otters than barbel!
Nice chub and lovely trout in the river, but few (if any) barbel. Many years ago there were large bream as well but they're mostly gone.
I love walking, birding and fishing, so that section of river ticks those boxes for me.
I should add that the public section ceases at Mayton Bridge. Club only upstream to Brampton. Don't want people reading this and thinking its free fishing!!!!!

The Upper Trent, last Saturday....

20230617_185715.jpg

Lovely swim but had to move because of a persistent grass snake,harmless I know,but took a liking to my jacket and bag,and wanted to make a home in them.
After three trips up the steep bank with my gear,I started to load the car to find it had cadged a lift up the bank in my gear,luckily I spotted it before it became resident in my car.😲
IMG_1545.jpeg

Decent size snake that as well. I fished with one in my peg last season but thankfully it stayed in stingers. I’d of had to moved if it came out. If it was in my gear I’d probably abandon it lol

Decent size snake that as well. I fished with one in my peg last season but thankfully it stayed in stingers. I’d of had to moved if it came out. If it was in my gear I’d probably abandon it lol
I don’t know how I didn’t notice carrying up the bank in my gear,I know they are harmless,but if it had shown itself I still would have had a shock.As I said,thank goodness it came out before I put it in the car.Can you imagine driving down the motorway and it appears on your shoulder 😄

Back