• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

Birds Meadow on the lower Severn above Tewkesbury with 10 feet on.
Birds Meadow 230221.jpg

This swim was full of sunken trees last summer, now the winter floods have moved them on.

Did not help me yesterday and 4 hours fishing brought lots of small bites on boilies and just one small roach on worm tail and 14 hook.

Looks perfect to me as well! It's the confluence of the little river Cele and the river Lot, hence the different water colours.

opposite the B walk.jpg

next photo, just downriver of the last shot, gives a truer impression of the flow in the main river Lot.

Lot rapids.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good Steve! What's the access like there at the moment, and did you catch?🙂
Hi Mark, I usually park in the layby at the top by the garden centre but today it was full so I had to drive down the track. It was very deeply rutted and very muddy at the bottom but I have 4 x 4 so managed ok but I wouldn't advise taking a car down there. I fished for 4 hours and blanked, river was very fishable and I roved a few swims but the wind was horrendous.

Yesterday the weather was forecast to reach over 20c here on the Lot. So Sally and I packed a picnic lunch and went for a scenic drive upriver, I packed a rod (of course!)

First stop was to get a photo of some early blossom, with a perfect french backdrop.......

Spring 21.jpg

Then we stopped at an abandoned campsite near the bridge and had our picnic in the sun. I took a look at the river but all the swims were under inches of silt after the floods. So we headed a few miles upriver to check out the weir.....

new weir swim feb 21.jpg

It looked good, but somehow I still fancied fishing the mud covered swim back at our picnic site. There are a few inches of very slippery mud over everything here. A couple of weeks ago the river was 20' higher and was even over the picnic tables where we had eaten lunch. Fortunate the tables had been concreted in place!

IMG_20210225_131036.jpg

Only fished about 30 minutes but had one barbel and missed another bite. I had to kneel on a flat stone for that photo, Sally was brave to slide down and take a photo. Nearly launched myself into the river when releasing the barbel, slippery, so slippery!

Barbel Feb 21.jpg

Then it was time to go home and make a curry. 👍

Is that Gunthorpe lock Mark ??

If it is, I've been looking on their FB page about how you fish there, or even joining, but haven't found any details on how you go about it. Would it be possible to give me some idea of how/who I contact to do so please. PM if you like.

Arch.
Yes mate it is. I'll drop you a pm👍

Back