• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

I took the 3rd picture whilst stood in the river bed , it was upsetting to see the river in such a parlous state ,goodness only knows where the fish are hiding ,if indeed there are any that have survived
Dont really want to be controversial but I wont be fishing untill river levels are somewhere near normal levels if that happens this year.

I took the 3rd picture whilst stood in the river bed , it was upsetting to see the river in such a parlous state ,goodness only knows where the fish are hiding ,if indeed there are any that have survived
A sorry state of affairs indeed Mike. I have not cast a line in a river since the very start of the season, and cannot see me doing so for the forseeable future .
We can only hope things improve. No rain here in West Yorks as yet, at least up near the moortops where I live.

David

A pic from the D.Stour taken a week ago. Levels have since continued to drop and these fish have moved to deeper runs. It’s actually raining here for the first time in weeks as I write this post,… hopefully we’re get more than a few showers .
4680625B-2FAD-4A9E-91D6-E8634920A7E0.jpeg

Dont really want to be controversial but I wont be fishing untill river levels are somewhere near normal levels if that happens this year.
Wasn't actually up there fishing Adrian , was visiting a nearby stone circle [ Yockenthwaite ring cairn] . In the nearby pub at Hubberholme were several fine cased trout that had been caught in the river over the years. It is hard to imagine how any fish could survive in the river in it's current state .

A sorry state of affairs indeed Mike. I have not cast a line in a river since the very start of the season, and cannot see me doing so for the forseeable future .
We can only hope things improve. No rain here in West Yorks as yet, at least up near the moortops where I live.

David
Yes David , all the rivers in my neck of the woods are in a poor way , the River Ouse is hardly moving .We had a thunderstorm last evening but it barely dampened the ground ,worrying times ...

Wasn't actually up there fishing Adrian , was visiting a nearby stone circle [ Yockenthwaite ring cairn] . In the nearby pub at Hubberholme were several fine cased trout that had been caught in the river over the years. It is hard to imagine how any fish could survive in the river in it's current state .
Sorry Mike,I didnt for one minute think that you were.I was merely making the point that some people choose to fish the rivers even with these alarmingly low levels.Their choice.I last fished the lower Nidd a couple of weeks ago and it could have been crossed in a pair of wellies in some places.I agree that the fish are bound to be suffering in the combination of low levels and extreme heat and the last thing they need is being caught by anglers so I wont be fishing rivers untill they are somewhere near normal levels.Stay safe all.

Sorry Mike,I didnt for one minute think that you were.I was merely making the point that some people choose to fish the rivers even with these alarmingly low levels.Their choice.I last fished the lower Nidd a couple of weeks ago and it could have been crossed in a pair of wellies in some places.I agree that the fish are bound to be suffering in the combination of low levels and extreme heat and the last thing they need is being caught by anglers so I wont be fishing rivers untill they are somewhere near normal levels.Stay safe all.
No need to apologise Adrian .For me it was the heat that has been putting me off going Barbel fishing . I have had a few goes on the Yorkshire Ouse in the evenings on cooler days and have managed to catch some Barbel . One upside of the very low water levels is that you can see snags and features which you didn't know existed , even on the larger rivers ;very handy for future reference.

Another 3 day trip down the Lot valley with the camper-van. The weather forecast was for maximum 28c temperatures and maybe some rain - sounded great after suffering months of that heatwave!

We decided to try a little campsite near Prayssac as all the pitches backed on to the river. It was "love-at-first-site" for this this stretch of river!

IMG_20220823_100107.jpg
IMG_20220822_195711.jpg

There had been a big silure caught the day before and I had spotted some swirls of good sized fish towards the opposite bank. So I stuck it out with a 24mm boilie in the hope of something outstanding.
Apart from small fish tying my trace in knots I only had the one fish. It was not something I expected as there was virtually no flow, but after about 10 hours fishing you can tell I was happy to see this barbel....

IMG_20220822_215102.jpg

I think we will be regular visitors here, only about an hours drive from our home 👍

River Bohme, Bomlitz, Lower Saxony Germany .

F293EFAD-0373-47AE-8DB6-3E6448676536.jpeg

This section of this little river is in the bottom of a forest ravine . It suffered greatly from a storm some time ago, when a lot of the trees came crashing down and either bridged the river or made a blockage, as a result it has silted up badly and now with the current drought situation its level has dropped as well. It did have some chub and silver fish a couple of years ago, but now there seems to be no evidence of any fish life and no indication that any clerance work will be undertaken in the forseable future.

David

Back