• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

petzl head torches??

Wayne Glossop

I appreciate this has been done a billion times before!!!!
I cant use the search facility for some reason
Anyway i hope you lads can off some assistance??
Im looking for a new reliable headtorch with money no object, iv been using a cheap cree but im wanting something a bit more special and reliable.
Iv been looking at either the petzl myo rxp 205 lumen or the petzl nao 355 lumen, has anyone used either or and can offercfree advice.
Thanks
Best wishes

Quite why you should need all that light is beyond me. Unless you're trying to annoy anglers in nearest square hectare. The petzl tikka is more than enough and it has a red lense to cut down the brightness. Unless of course you want a head torch for beach casting at night then get a samlite model.

Wayne,

I am not familiar with the models you refer to but have a Petzl Zipka myself which does not incorporate the usual elasticated straps which can perish over time but a retractable cord and a small pad on the light which sits nicely against your skin without slipping or irritating.

This model has plenty of light for 'fiddling with your tackle' (excuse pun) with the minimum of size and can be worn under your cap which allows you to use the peak of your cap as a shield to prevent illuminating the water so as not to give away your presence.

They are not cheap but a brilliant bit of kit.

Last edited:
Try the samalite 1300w its 1400 lumen. As money's no object. And with that power you will be able to see the bottom of the river in any floods

I have a Petzl Tikka XP2 LED Head Torch which is very light, very bright and as yet haven't had to change the batteries since I purchased last August.

I believe it is 80 lumens which has been more than enough to light up 50 yards of the bank on the walk back to the car. I don't feel anymore than that is necessary.

Regards

Dan

I have a Petzl Tikka XP2 LED Head Torch which is very light, very bright and as yet haven't had to change the batteries since I purchased last August.

I believe it is 80 lumens which has been more than enough to light up 50 yards of the bank on the walk back to the car. I don't feel anymore than that is necessary.

Regards

Dan

Ditto...........assuming people are recommending Alpkit because it is more powerful then what on earth do you need all that power for? I use the Petzl on red most of the time while fishing and have no problem getting back to the car on white light.

I've still got two brand new energizer ones which Santa puts in my stocking every year, thats in addition to one in the glove box of each of my cars and another two in my tackle bag. They do everything I want from a head torch and more and if you drop it in the river they're cheap enough that there are no tears.
When Wane said money was no object I looked online for something really expensive, guess what? It's virtually impossible to spend more than about £40. I'm sure I spent more than that on my first petzel led headtorch about 10 years ago. These things really have come down in price in the last few years

LED Lenser head fire power chip
Had mine for about 10 years now good bit of kit.
Had the petzl before that which was good nowhere near as bright as the lenser
Plus they don't like being stepped on either.
Also bought one of them energisers with the red filter last year as the swims I was fishing were only 2 rod lengths wide and the lenser was too bright and it ticked all the boxes also.

Mark

i use a petzyl tikka, had it for about 12/13 years now replaced batteries a few times but not excessively, the headlight is light, can be worn on wrist or arm as well as forehead, tough as old boots and no problems with mine.
not the brightest but ultra reliable and weighs next to nothing:)

I've got the LEDlenser H7 which I've had for 2 or 3 years now. Its by far the best head torch I've ever owned, the variable focus and brightness mean I can have it on low level for fishing but nice and bright when walking back to the car down some very dark pathways.

Ditto...........assuming people are recommending Alpkit because it is more powerful then what on earth do you need all that power for? I use the Petzl on red most of the time while fishing and have no problem getting back to the car on white light.

The Petzl Myo I have is far,far brighter than the alpkit, and is in fact too bright! Hence my suggestion of the Alpkit. But i'm sure other models in the Petzl range are better suited to angling however.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, in the end i decided to go with the petzl nao at £120 although not been able to get it on the bank yet, iv had a play around with it and im very impressed

Nah not married mate and even if i was it wouldnt change what i buy lol haha

Back