• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

peter stone - old father thames

i appreciate that peter himself is rightly a true fishing legend.

however i am thinking of buying a copy of the above and wonder if anybody could provide any rationale recommendation as to whether this is a particularly good read ? also is it set around his home region of oxfordshire or all along the river ?

any feedback appreciated

Hi Paul,
An excellent read IMHO, even if one isn't a Thames regular or you fish a stretch different to those covered in the book.

Yes, the text largely covers the area around Oxford but even for a mid and lower Thames lurker like myself, Stone's tales are fascinating. The fishing is classic and historical but never antiquated and I am sure you will learn plenty.

I also received The River Prince this Christmas. If you like the Peter Stone book you will probably like this too :)

All the best,
Stephen

I've just finished reading this and it is a lovely read.

Moreover I can heartily reccomend a fairly old publication by Peter called 'Fishing for Big Chub'. Just recently I've been hankering for a more traditional/classical approach to my fishing rather than getting bogged down in science. This book is just the ticket - traditional baits, a wealth of experience and an easy reading style from someone who caught more fish than I'm likely to see in a lifetime.

Russ

Sounds a good read, read s few of Stonies articles and am privileged to own one of his old rods that usually starts my season with the traditional methods of the period too. I spend far too much time stressing over high tec rigs and tackle that going back to simpler times and methods is refreshing:)

Back