• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Personal Digital Radios

Steve Reed

I know the topic of radios has come up before and I bought a Pure Move on the back of others recommendations. That was a couple of years ago and it has gone on the blink. Instead of crystal clear music/talk I get a farting noise on all stations. Assuming it is knackered, is the Pure Move still the radio of choice for the discerning barbel angler or has technology moved on?

Cheers.

Steve

Steve,

I purchased one of these from ASDA

ASDA E80210 Personal DAB and FM Radio | DAB Radios | ASDA direct

The sound quality is superb and it is small and very easy to use. The down side is that it will use 2 batteries for a listening time of about 8 hours depending on the volume. They are the same batteries as in my headtorch so I always have spares with me and I find it is a small price to pay considering the DAB sound quality and ease of use to have Radio 4 at my fingertips.

Just stick to the sounds of nature;)
Bit of a pet hate of mine having to listen to the tinny sound someone's radio when fishing near to them!

Wouldnt be without mine. You can sometimes get recon's on Ebay that are a little cheaper.
One of the reasons I didn't buy a Pure Move was because there were so many recons for sale. It implies that a lot of them go wrong, why else would they need reconditioning?

I bought a Roberts EcoLogic 1, currently £46 from Amazon, half the price of the Pure Move. The audio quality is decent and I have been very happy with it. It can take rechargable batteries which are recharged if you plug the radio into the mains. However, rechargable batteries go flat quickly, especially if you don't use it for a couple of weeks, so I always have some proper batteries with me as a backup and they last quite a long time.

The main drawback to this radio is that its quite heavy and a little big if you are travelling light. If prices for DAB come down and I could find a decent smaller radio, I'd probably relegate the Ecologic to the kitchen.

Of course I keep the volume down so others can't hear it, unless Rhys is fishing nearby, then I turn it right up :cool: :)

Last edited:
Another option and one I use is podcasts.Just download the shows on my phone I want to listen to,no interference and nothing extra to carry apart from earphones.Just a thought if you have a smart phone or mp3 player.

The thing that's always put me off dab radios is the battery life. My little cheap Sony although not dab used to do almost a season with batteries and that used to be left from Friday night to Sunday morning when carping. Don't use a radio when barbelling as don't stay in one place long enough to get comfy.

Of course I keep the volume down so others can't hear it, unless Rhys is fishing nearby, then I turn it right up :cool: :)

Head phones!!:D

Each to their own I guess and they're obviously popular with a lot of fishermen, but I just don't get it, a big part of going fishing is to get a bit of peace and quite away from it all, surely!?

The big plus with the Pure Move is that it contains a rechargeable battery pack that keeps going for ages and this is a design feature I would want in any digital radio I bought. I use it with headphones so as not to disturb other anglers and usually use it to listen to footie or cricket. I appreciate the views of those who prefer to listen to the sounds of nature which is something I do more often than not. However, I often fish on Saturday or Sunday afternoon and I do like to keep tabs on how badly Arsenal are doing. As we say, each to their own!

Steve

That's fair enough if you're listening to live sport through headphones or very quietly, it's when someone's blasting out radio 1 or some such that gets me. Feel like walking over and kicking it in the river!

That's fair enough if you're listening to live sport through headphones or very quietly, it's when someone's blasting out radio 1 or some such that gets me. Feel like walking over and kicking it in the river!

That's fair enough Rhys, I think most people see it like that, although my thoughts are that it is one of those difficult to answer questions. Everyone can see the logic in saying a blaring radio is depriving others of their right to fish in peace and quiet....whereas it's harder to admit that banning radios could be said to be equally as bad, as it is depriving those who wish to use them of their right to do so. Fortunately, most people are reasonable and can see both sides of the argument. Sadly, there are always going to be a few extremists on both sides though....those who insist on having a radio blaring out....and those who would moan and seek to get you banned no matter how low you had it.

Nothing new there then :D

Cheers, Dave.

On most of the waters I fish you're only allowed to listen to radios with headphones, one of the more sensible rules!

Should probably shut up then as I've nothing to moan about!:D

Back