• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Peregrine rods

Ben Jennings

Hi all new to this forum, and after 15 years am dusting the barbel gear off again. Things have changed so much. Looking now it seems my trusty old shimano x carp 1.25tc rod may be under gunned. So I'm looking at getting a new rod and fancy a peregrine gti 11 foot rod. I've seen some peregrine rods and they've always looked really nice. These rods have been out for a good few years now, so I'm wondering if for the money (£197 inc p&p) there's anything newer that you'd recommend instead?

I can't comment on the GTi but I have 3 peregrine rods all bought in the last couple of years, 2 x 12' GTx 1.75 T/C & 1 x 12' GTx 1.5 T/C, and think that they are fantastic rods.
The tips are sensitive enough and they have plenty of power in reserve and as a bonus look good as well. Right now I wouldn't use anything else.

I have the 11ft GTi and it's a lovely rod to use. All the power you need, a wonderful action and sensitive to boot. I'd feel a little undergunned if I had to use it on a big tidal river but that's the only exception. If you've not already seen it there's a write-up in the review section of this site (under rods over £100). As you already like the look of the rod, you're half way there.

Hi Bob

I built my own 11ft GTi rods on Roger (Peregrine Rods) recommendation about 9 years ago. Im my humble opinion still the best barbel blank available, even though not flavour-of-the-month these days. Have tried others but all of my fishing on small and big rivers I fish are with these rods.

Very good rods, whomever makes them I'd think.

paul4

I'd probably go for something like the Shimano Hyperloops, superb rods. Much sought after these days. By sheer chance I have a couple that I am reluctantly prepared to let go, at a fair price of course, to someone who would appreciate them.

Peregine rods

ive a Peregrine 12ft SU Avon i bought a few years back,its never failed in any way
lovely soft action,and power when needed.Today its still my favourite of all my rods.

Back